Chapter 5

• Dedicated to Joceyln Gardner

Ray's POV:

Everybody went to bed. I was doing watch. I looked at everyone. They all looked so peaceful. Then I realized there was only three of them. Alit was missing! I smiled. I know Alit, he can be a handful sometimes. He came out of some bushes, holding berries.

"Couldn't sleep?" I asked.

"No. I thought I'll stand guard with you."

He put the berries on a log, and went over to a tree. The tree's leaves were huge! He took one down, and came back sitting right next to me. He put the berries on the leaf. I grabbed a big blue berry, with purple polka dots. I took a bite out of it.

"Man! These are good!"

"They're called Cotton Berries. They taste like Cotton Candy."

He looked at me.

"What?" I asked.

"You're going to have to tell them soon."

I stopped eating. "What?"

"That you're a Barian."

"Iris knows."

"No she doesn't. She thinks you're dead."

"Why, does she think I'm dead?"

He shrugged.

"Well, you never came back, after you controlled Dr. Faker."

I looked at her. She had a peaceful expression on her face.

"Alit?" I looked at him. "Why are we in war? How come we can't be one big nation?"

"I don't know, Vector."

"You don't have to call me, Vector. You can call me Ray for now."

"Alright, Ray."

We both laughed.

"Hey, how come we are here?" I asked.

Alit stopped laughing.

"You've been chosen to be a Legendary Warrior."

"What are Legendary Warriors?"

"You'll find out tomorrow."

We ate the rest of the berries in silence. Then something hit me.

"Is Iris, really Trey's twin sister?"

Alit stopped eating.

"Why do you ask?"

"I just hear rumors."

"Rumors? Really?"

I looked at him.

"Hey! I'm serious!"

He laughed. After awhile he stopped, and looked down.

"Yes, but she's been cursed."

"Cursed?"

"She was cursed, by a wizard name Comet."

"Comet?"

"A former ally of ours. When the Barian World was part of the Astral World, a local wizard would come, and entertained the children. Iris and I went to one of his shows with the queen. Iris liked his show so much, the queen made him the Royal Wizard. He would do shows for us all the time. What we didn't know, was that he was planning on killing the queen, so he would become king. Iris over heard him in his room, and told the queen right away. Comet was punished, or should I say suppose to be punished. He was suppose to be executed, but he got away. The queen doubled the guards to make sure he doesn't hurt anyone. That night he snuck into Iris's bedroom. He was going to kill her, but I heard him, and ran in with guards. He instead put a curse on her. I still remember those words. 'On her 14 birthday she will die. Until then she can not go to Earth to see her family.'"

"Does she know?"

He shook his head.

"She was sleeping. Comet put a sleeping spell on her. Ray you can't tell her!"

"All right! I won't!"

He looked up, and smiled. "Thank you," he said softly.

We ate the rest the berries in silence. We didn't talk to each other the whole night. The same thought kept running through my head though.

Can I save Iris?