The New Normal

Chapter 1

Two weeks. That's how long I've been puking every morning. And with my period late. There is almost no doubt in my mind that I'm pregnant. Now a normal person would be thrilled. But not me. I'm seventeen years old. I have a life I had wanted to live and now it's gone. Cut short because of one stupid mistake. So I sit there locked in Justin's bathroom with this little plastic pregnancy test that determines my life. Justin is nineteen. He's already told me he wants to be married and start a family by the time he's twenty six. That whole family thing is coming a lot quicker than he thinks. I mean we're both teens how are we going to raise this baby. He won't even be here for the pregnancy, I mean he's on tour constantly. What happens if he freaks out. Disowns me. Disowns his unborn child. Kicks me out of his house. "Wait hold on Mikayla. Calm down." I instruct myself.

"You don't even know if your pregnant yet. Relax." Only I couldn't relax. What was I going to do? I read the pregnancy box for probably the millionth time. "Step 2: Wait 3-5 min after urinating. There will be a + if your pregnant and a - if your not" How long has it been? Two and half minutes. Yet somehow it feels like a lifetime. I begin to pace in front of the mirror. For a couple more minutes when I realize the test is done. And as I stare at it my heart stops and my mouth goes cotton dry. This just proved my worst nightmare. +. I am pregnant. I just don't even know what to do. And my gosh Pattie! How was I going to look into the eyes of my only mother figure and tell her I was having her son's baby. I hear Justin stirring in bed. He's up and coming toward the bathroom. He stops an knocks quietly. "Hey babe, you ok in there?"

"Actually no. I kinda need to talk to you about something. It's really important." I respond.

I could feel him tense up through the door. " Unlock it. I'm coming in."

I unlock the door shakily I'm so nervous I think I might puke. But I'm pretty sure it's the morning sickness. He walks into the bathroom and locks the door behind him even though we're the only ones in the house. "Hey babe. What's up?"

"Hey Justin, do you remember that trip to Canada we,took a couple weeks ago?"

His lips curled up in a playful grin, "How could I forget? It was amazing."

"Yeah it was," I said smiling at the memory. "But..."

"What?" He said with a concerned expression on his face. He started to lean back on the counter when he sat on the pregnancy test box. He stopped and moved next to him. Only half glancing at it. But something must have caught his attention because he snatched the box up really quick.

He looked up at me, "Is this what your scared about?"

"No," I replied, "But what this says does."

He took the pregnancy test, from me and held it as if it were a piece of delicate China. He took one look at that red + and his eyes got really big so big that he had to jump up. Then the realization dawned on him and he sat heavily on the counter. "So lemme get this straight. Your going to be a mom, and I'm going to be a dad".

"Yes," I said quietly.

He noticed my worry and was next to me in a flash. "So...." He asked. "How do you feel? How are you? Are you ok?"

"I'm fine," I replied. "Just really scared."

"Really. Me too, but I'm kinda excited to be a dad."

"You really mean that?"

"Of course! I can't wait!"

A great wave of relief washed over me. Justin wants my baby. Our baby. Our perfect little miracle. Justin had made it perfectly clear that he wants to help raise our baby.