Other Judgments in God's Plan

Although mankind as a whole will yet have a Thousand-Year Judgment Day for trial and sentencing, there have been other judgment days in the past. When Adam sinned in the Garden of Eden, the whole human race was sentenced to death as a result. “Dying thou shalt die” (Genesis 2:17, margin). “As in Adam all die” (1 Corinthians 15:22). Every ache, pain or funeral is evidence of that universal sentence, but because mankind will be recovered from Adam's penalty, death is really like a temporary “sleep” (John 11:11-14).

Only the Church of consecrated believers in Christ have now by faith “escaped” from this original penalty (2 Peter 2:20). After being given “exceeding great and precious promises,” if they “abound” in godliness and love, they will receive an abundant entrance “into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ” (2 Peter 1:4-11). They alone are on trial for life or death now before the world's time for judgment. The Church, as the “firstfruits” of redemption, will inherit immortality—divine nature (James 1:18; Romans 2:7; 1 Corinthians 15:53). The rest of humanity will have an opportunity for life everlasting as earthly sons in the future.

Has God changed His mind because the first sentence was too severe? No, not at all. “I am the LORD, I change not” (Malachi 3:6). God provided the redemption and recovery Plan from the beginning! Before Adam sinned, God planned for our Redeemer to “taste death for every man” (Hebrews 2:9; Revelation 13:8).