Chapter 8

"NO!" Putrigall screamed as the cabin door closed behind Halbred. Carrotina spun around to face him, her face inexpressive. "It's too late," she said, not a hint of emotion in any part of her body. "How could you do this to me?" Putrigall growled and struggled to free himself of the paralysis that held him captive. It was to no avail, for whatever Magic the angel used was strong and held him fast. "How could I?" The angel scoffed. "Easily. You threatened the life of my human. The better question to ask yourself is how could I not."

Putrigall couldn't even stand to look at the creature before him. Not only was she the reason he would soon be dead, she was also remarkably beautiful. Her long, curly hair blazed redder than the fires of hell. Her eyes were blue, but so light that they almost seemed grey. And then there were her wings. They were big and bold and magnificent wings. Her wings seemed to be what it was that gave off the great strength he felt when he saw her. She were beautiful, yet she also made him cower in fear.

"You get what you deserve for trying to ruin this girl's life," Carrotina continued. "What happens to you is not my concern." Putrigall gathered all the courage he could muster. He gave a slight, broken chuckle. "You may have me locked up in this place, beast, but you have not yet won."
"Oh, haven't I? I suppose you should know that I have gotten to know the guardian of Halbred's grandmother quite well over the years. A dear old thing, she's seen many a soul to the gates in her lifetime. Halbred's grandmother has a fantastic relationship with her guardian and nearly always listens to her."

Putrigall felt his courage decline. So it was certain that he was going to die. "You do not know for sure," he said, trying to convince himself as much as the angel. "There is no certainty that the grandmother will—" Putrigall's toes began to sink into the floor. Carrotina watched, satisfied, as Putrigall's face changed to an angry panic. He continued to slowly sink into the floor of the cabin. "It seems her grandmother took the news quite well," Carrotina observed.
"You think you're so intelligent," Putrigall spit out in disgust. He searched his mind for something, anything to catch the angel off guard. "You're the reason the former demon died! You killed him! He died because he loved you and wanted to protect you! You disgusting beast, you might as well have killed him with your own hands. It's YOUR fault."
Carrotina stared at Putrigall for a few seconds, her expression failing to betray any shift in emotion. Finally, she glanced down at Putrigall's knees, which were now disappearing into the floor. "I know."
"Putrigall's face changed from smug to horrified. He realized there was no salvaging his pride. He was going to die a coward, and nothing he could say to this angel would give back to him any small piece of his dignity. Carrotina turned and made her way to the cabin door. Once there, she paused and spoke over her shoulder. "If you were intelligent at all, you'd have realized that I only paralyzed you. I did nothing to your voice. You still could have killed Halbred if you had merely spoken up and said the right words." And with that, Carrotina walked away and left Putrigall behind her screaming and roaring in agony as his brothers drug him back to hell to be consumed.