Episode One: James' Big Mistake

Snow came early to the Island of Sodor. Engines were busy to and fro with their jobs and clearing the lines.

One day, Gordon the Express engine was at the Steamworks. He had to get some repairs done.
"I'm afraid you will be here for a few days, Gordon." said Sir Topham Hatt. "I'll find a temporary replacement engine to take the Express."
Gordon sighed.

When James heard the news, he was excited. Usually, Sir Topham Hatt chose him to take the Express and James loved to take Express.
The Express was already shunted when James arrived. Reluctant to take it, James puffed over. But Sir Topham Hatt stopped.
"There you are James," he said, "You will be working at Ffarquhar Quarry with Mavis, todat."
James was stunned. "Q-quarry?" he stammered. "But I-I thought I was pulling...who will be taking the Express, s-sir?"
"I am!"
Henry backed in.
"Henry shall be taking the Express while Gordon is being repaired." explained Sir Topham Hatt. "Off you go to the quarry, now, James."
James sighed and headed off the quarry. He was disappointed. He wanted to pull the Express and there were no coaches at the quarry. When James got to the quarry, Mavis was waiting for him.
"Hello James!" she said. "Please take these trucks of stone to Brendam Docks!"
"Very well, Mavis." said James.
James coupled up and took the trucks away. But the Troublesome trucks were delighted. They loved to play tricks on James.
"On! On! On!" one shouted.
"Faster!"
"Hold back! Hold back!"
James was cross. "Be quiet!" he hissed. But the trucks didn't listen.
"On! On! On!"
"Hold back! Hold back!"
Then there was trouble. The trucks jerked back the coupling and James was uncoupled from the trucks. James went rolling down the hill.
"Help!" cried James. Up ahead was a bend, and James couldn't stop in time. His driver and fireman jumped clear. James derailed and landed on his side .No one was hurt, but James' whistle became loose.
A little later, Duck came with Rocky and the trucks, which were still on the track . Rocky put James back on the rails. James was couple back up to the train. By the time James got to the docks, he was almost late.

James took trucks back and forth all day. He didn't have time to go to the Steamworks to et his whistle fixed.
That evening, he backed in his shed. Henry was still excited.
"The passengers all enjoyed the ride!" said Henry. "They said it was smooth!"
James was beginning to feel jealous. He wished more than anything to take the Express. Then. he decided to play a trick on Henry.

The next morning, an idea flew into his funnel. Henry went to Knapford to collect the Express. Smiling, James followed him all the way. When they got there, James pretended to have news from Sir Topham Hatt.

"Wait Henry!" said James. "I've got news from Sir Topham Hatt! I will be taking the Express today! You will be taking my freight train today!"
Henry looked puzzled. "Are you sure?" he asked politely.
"Of course!" said James, trying not to look too proud. "Sir Topham Hatt's order."
"Well, it's Sir Topham Hatt's orders." said Henry, "All right!" he uncoupled from the Express and went to take james' trucks.
James was coupled up and puffed away.
"What a clever engine I am!" he laughed. "No more freight cars for me!" James was so busy being clever that he forgot all about his whistle.
Then there was trouble. A cow strayed onto the mainline. James had to stop.
James was annoyed. "I'm going to be late!" he cried.
He whistled as loud as he could. But because his whistle was loose, it came off! James' Driver saw what happened.
"Oh no!" cried James. "My whistle! What am I going to do now?"
James' driver telephoned for help.

Shortly, Toby came with Farmer McColl and a cattle car. The cow climbed aboard the car while being guided by Farmer McColl.

Janes continued on.

When Sir Topham Hatt had heard what James had done, he was cross.
When James got to knapford, Sir Topham Hatt was waiting for him.
"What were you thinking, James?" he snapped. "Do you have ANY idea on how what you did was dangerous? Not only did you Trick Henry, but you put the passengers in danger! You know you can't go without a whistle. Whistles are essential! Someone could have gotten hurt!"
James didn't know what to say. "I-I-I..."
"I was going to let you pull the Express since Henry broke down today, but Emily will do it instead. You will take Henry's Flying Kipper for the rest of the week. I hope this teaches you not to do a job you were not assigned too."

After that, James had learned a big lesson, never to take somebody else's job.