Chapter 2

Chapter 2: When The Branches Spread
~~~~~~~~~

I held my new talisman to my chest. Last night, while I was placing my last shipment into my car, the Moon Goddess summoned me to give me a necklace. The chain was silver and long. The stone in the middle rested upon my heart when I put it on. The stone was made of pure moon, and it was a great honor to have this gift from the Moon Goddess.

I was to use this necklace to guide me, and when I needed the Goddess, she was now one tear away, instead of a garden away.

Yes, I had to shed a tear to summon the Goddess.

My old house was made of cold, unforgiving stone. This time, I chose a nice, homey log cabin in the middle of the woods.

Of course, I was now a target for the things that go bump in the night, but hey. I am one of the things that go bump in the night.

My log cabin was standard. Two bedrooms, one kitchen, one living room, two bathrooms, and a dining room. The sliding doors that lead out of the dining room led to a porch that wrapped around the cabin. There wasn't a garden, but there was a nice path in the woods that led to a large, open, public lake. The trees on the edge of the path loomed over the dead grass that made up the path, but were two feet apart, which made the path in the woods a sunny place. Often, you could hear the loud squeal of laughter from children in the pack that surround my new quiet home.

The Goddess hadn't told me anything of Mason. She just mentioned WBH. What did that stand for? I get WB, that meant West Brook. What I didn't get was the H.

I figured Mason was someone my age, so I enrolled myself into the only school here, a building that all ages attended, except the other parts were sectioned off. I needed to find Mason as soon as possible, so I started school in two days. Monday.

I sat in the backyard, now. The path came right up to the edge of my porch. Guess people were friendly here.

I sat down in the grass, welcoming the ants that crawled over me, not biting me, as I was very close with nature. Why would they hurt me?

I felt myself calm, and I let out a long breath. I wiggled my toes in the grass, and felt my body start to hum at the use of my powers.

My aura seemed to stretch over the land, over the trees and over the grass, touch the lake and run along the branches. I was letting them know, telling nature of my presence, and it welcomed me, the sun seemed to shine brighter. As I did this, stretched my aura over every inch of the West Howl's land, I saw it in my head.

The pack house, the lake, a seemingly messy clearing, the school, and finally, a mall. I really wanted to go to that clearing. I didn't have a garden, and I needed to find a place to meditate, to contact the Goddess. I needed a place as close to nature as possible.

As I walked into the clearing, a deep feeling of sadness washed over me. There were brown leaves and fallen twigs covering the ground. The trees, they looked to be on their last limb. Every piece of nature in this place screamed sadness. With a sigh and a flick of my wrist, I started to breathe life into the clearing.

It was like watching the leaves and twigs fall and die, only backwards. It was breath taking to watch the brown turn to a lovely green, and it was almost like the tall, strong and healthy trees smiled in thanks. I smiled back.

I drew water from the air and watched as it swirled around my fingers. I created a small river in front of the largest tree. Once I was done, I sat down and calmly petted the small bunny that decided I was worth sitting next to. Soon enough, I softly pushed at the bunny's tail to get it hopping.

"Run along, I can sense your Mommy looking for you."

The bunny seemed to understand, and hopped off to my right. I placed my hands on the ground and followed the bunny with my aura, making sure it got home safe. I was not blind to the Elder wolves who taught the pups how to hunt using the small bunnies.

I headed home an hour later, to pick an outfit to wear to school. This wouldn't be the first mission I've had, or the first school I've been to. My entire closet consisted of dresses. That was all us witches wore, besides skinny jeans and skirts.

I decided to go with a more bad ass look this time. Last time, I was what humans call 'nerds', and I did not like not being able to punch faces in at free will. I pulled out a black leather skirt, with a crop top, leather jacket, and black ankle boots. I smiled. My style often ranged between girly and boyish.

I took a shower and washed my long black hair. After, I dressed in the only thing I have of my father, a long shirt, and laid down to sleep. Instead of the Moon Goddess appearing, she showed me images. None of them were on Mason exactly, but on flashes of history with this darkness. I realized something. This darkness wasn't a force, or a demon like I originally thought. This darkness was a person.

And slowly, this person was eating away at Mason.

~~~~~~~~~
-Mal was trained by the Moon Goddess and by reading books written by her ancestors, which will be mentioned later.

-A talisman can be referred to as a holder or keeper of magic. It can be any object, a necklace, a ring, or even a stick (like a wand) that holds some of a witch's magic and can keep a witch strong and close to the God or Goddess they serve.

-What are some witchy stereotypes that you have heard of and liked? Disliked?

-The bunny may appear later in the story. ;)