Closer

Key: (F/n) = First name, (L/n) = Last name, (E/c) = Eye colour, (H/c) = Hair colour. (H/n) = House name, eg Gryffindor, Ravenclaw etc.

~~~

In the weeks that followed, (F/n) and Severus Snape trained together. Well, more he trained her. Even though the black clad professor taught her the Dark Arts anyway, the tutoring did not stop. After a few sessions, she had conquered Expecto Patronum, but still asked to further expand her knowledge. Snape had agreed to fully take the (H/n) student under his wing (or cloak?) to help her become her best.

They had grown considerably closer as a result. No longer was Snape as cold as he was before, towards (F/n), at least. They were now on a first name basis outside of the classroom, but (F/n) still resorted to calling him 'Senpai', and he welcomed it warmly now. Even in class, Snape was considerably nice to her than the other students. She didn't know whether to be proud or embarrassed about that.

The other students had begun to question the bond between professor and student. Some had even started rumours that they were together, or the (F/n) was bribing him with her body. The girl in question greatly preferred the first rumour. Despite the curious and disapproving glances, nobody ever mentioned it to (F/n). No dared to tell Snape, but (F/n) suspected that he already knew. She could just tell that he did.

Nether the less, the two still continued their routine and it had become a part of their routine. Today was no different. Currently, (F/n) was sat on the couch in Snape's living quarters, with him sat in an armchair opposite her. In her hands was a potion – a new one that the Professor had created. This was a sort of 'payment' for her tutoring. In return for training, she became his guinea pig for his concoctions. A few months ago, if someone had told (F/n) that soon she would be sat with Snape and drinking his own brews, she'd have thought they were crazy. But here she was, and she didn't mind one bit.

The purple liquid in her hands was supposed to heighten senses and reduce reaction time. (E/c) eyes stared expectantly at the brew, admiring the dainty china it had been placed in for her. Snape had his fingers laced together as he watched, carefully looking for anything, and preparing, for if anything went wrong. It had been tested on a few animals beforehand, but he couldn't be too careful.

The (H/c) haired student raised the cup to her lips and gulped down a mouthful. She cringed as she put the cup down and made a sound of disgust; it didn't exactly taste great. However, the effects were immediate, taking her to blink multiple times and suck in a big breathe and slowly exhale.

"How do you feel, (F/n)?" Severus inquired warily.

"Good..." She replied quietly, a bit shocked at first. Her entire body tingled and she stood up quickly, lost her balance and righted herself in a matter of senses. It was working, at least. Normally, she would have fallen flat on her ass. Speedily walking over to the window, she opened it and stared out. Everything seemed louder: the shouts of other students; even the wind seemed colder, even though it was just a gentle breeze.

Behind her, Snape had risen to his feet. This – she was aware of; what she was not aware of, was the pen he was preparing to hurtle at her head. The writing utensil came whizzing towards her back but she turned and caught it at the last second.

"Your potion's working, Professor." (F/n) stated matter-of-factly. However, soon enough, the giddiness of the potion was being replaced with nausea and light-headedness. "On second thought..." She couldn't finish. Before she knew it, the world was spinning and she was falling. The last thing she saw was Snape rushing towards her, looking more than a bit concerned.

When (F/n) awoke, she was lying on a very comfortable bed that certainly wasn't her own. A groan of confusion exited her mouth as she tried to sit up. Bad idea. Her stomach churned and she had a hard time containing the vomit rising to her throat. But then, a hand gently pulled her back down...right onto Snape. With blurry eyes, (F/n) looked behind her to see Severus holding her against his chest.

"I'm so sorry, (F/n), I shouldn't have made you drink that knowing it wasn't entirely safe.." His voice was considerably quiet, and you struggled to hear him, but you did. You figured he must have been remembering something from his past. He had lost so much..

Without hesitation, (F/n) twisted her body around and wrapped her arms around the Professor's neck, burying her face into his chest. "It's ok, Severus. I agreed to do this. I had just as much of a part in it than you did." She tried to reassure him although her words were muffled by his chest.

(E/c) eyes looked up into his dark liquid gaze, only to find pain and sorrow. "That could have killed you. I won't lose you...I can't." His grip on her tightened slightly. She could feel the heartache already; she had no words for this moment, so Severus continued. "You're one of my only friends now, (F/n), and I don't know why I thought I could use you as a test subject. Please, forgive me."

Seeing the other side of the usually uninterested professor was positively killing (F/n) inside and she hadn't a clue on how to cheer him up. She wasn't concerned for herself at all. All she could do was nod, causing a wave of relaxation to wash over Severus.

It took a few moments for them to separate from their embrace. When they did, the two of them realized just how late it had gotten. Severus suggested that (F/n) go to bed, to which she agreed. After that evening, she deserved it.

Both stood up and walked to the door in silence – it wasn't awkward, however, but comfortable as they were at that point where silence wasn't necessarily bad. Once at the door, (F/n) turned around to face her professor, gazing up into those nearly black eyes. "Please don't blame yourself for what happened. You didn't know." She hastily stood up on her tiptoes and gave him a kiss on the cheek before scurrying off to her dorm, leaving the professor shocked...and somewhat shaken up.