5

Emily's father and Nancy's father slammed the door of the mansion. Exhaustion took over them. Annoyance was present on their face. They were purely stuck. They had no idea of tracking down their daughters and yet they knew one thing. That they were together with Ninet.

They did everything they could yet they refused to believe it was nothing they could do. They wanted their daughters back safe and sound and in their homes where they belonged. They were but women and how could they take care of themselves in such a savage world?

Emily's father knew Ninet was just a passerby. A simple asset. She could never be the type to come up with a plan such as this so he could only believe that Nancy and Emily came up with such as strategy. And for a long time coming for it was executed so effortlessly. Bur he could expect nothing less from them. the girls were always getting into trouble and dragging Ninet into it with them as if the two weren't enough.

Ninet was his daughter. That he could not deny. In addition he knew his son did more then he led on. Perhaps his mistake was allowing his children to know about how Ninet was conceived. Yes it was through force but Fredrick had a real love for Naomi. He actually cared for her and fell in love for her a while back. Yet he couldn't allow anyone to know so he took her knowing she would bare his child. The youngest out of all of them. 

Yea it was wrong of him for Emily had just been born but the heart wanted what the heart wanted. Naomi' on the other hand didn't see it his way. Falling back from the scene as she once were she blamed her sister for her daughter's conception with no interference. She grew a hate for whites. It was a never ending cycle one he could not allow his son to commit. One that shouldn't have even started. His love for Naomi blinded him and yet his love for his wife, her sister made him stay. yes he loved two women. And it was wrong.

But he also couldn't allow his daughters and their friend to stay there in a world they know nothing about with barbarians and natives that would suspect them spies and possibly kill them.

It was his duty to save them but how when he had no idea where any of them were. he could not call the authorities on this one. Calling them would only turn the search into a slave hunt and Ninet was still his daughter. He wanted all of them home safe and sound
***

Ninet stared up at the night sky. It was cold so a fire was what warmed them along with several blankets. A warm little knot laid behind her above the blankets. Every now and then she would feel him wake and walk around before retiring to her side. It was if he was protecting her when she should have been protecting him. It was cute and heroic in a sense. But she was worried for him. He was so small and all she wanted was his safety. This was a big cworld for such a little pup and his curiosity made her nervous. 

The sky was pretty. She had never taken the time to look at them as she was now. She could see them twinkle despite the glow of the fire and she found herself feeling a sense of calm around her. That was saying something because she hadnt felt calm sense she was a babe. This world was just too big and had too much hate for her. 

That brought her to the next question running through her head. What were they doing? She still had not fully understood what they were doing out here in the middle of no where not knowing where to go or when they wuld get there. There were so many dangerous that could come out at any moment. Wild animals, Slave hunters, Bandits, Robbers, Indians. She didnt theink them Savage but she knew if she was constantly getting attacked by the whites  she would take revenge on anything that was connected to them in anyway. Well that wasnt true.

Nina couldn't hurt a fly and she knew it. It was just that she knew that that was the mentality of what they felt. And with good reason. She just didnt understand the hatred of others. They had the same things. They spoke the same language. They all breathe the same air and yet they were all treated so differently. And why was this? Simply because of the color of their skin which was different. 

Awhoooooo!

The howls started and Nina moved closer to the fire. She didn't like the idea of wolves near the fire. She had never seen one and she would have liked to keep it that way. The last thing she wanted to do was be some wild animal's meal and she was sure they wouldn't like her much anyway. But she didn't want to find out.

"Nina. Dont be afraid. They are far from here. They only sound close because the night is so clear and the moon is full tonight." Nancy spoke up when she notice Nina scooting a little closer to the. She had no trouble with her being closer but she also knew that the young girl was scared. She knew Nina was only a year behind them but she was still so sheltered even for a slave. 

"I am fine."Ninet lied. She just didn't want to be a nuisance to Nancy. She always envied Nancy and Emily. They had so much freedom, well as much freedom as a white woman could have at the time in the south, but it was more than what she had.

"Its okay to be scared. " Nancy said softly and she watched Nina fidget around. She knew she should approach her like she would a scared animal. Not to compare her to an animal but Ninet was shy an very skiddish.

***********

Custer looked at the flames as they consumed what passed for homes. He did it. He ran off another tribe. Killing most of their men. He sent a few of his men to go deal with the others. They were nothing but game for the hunting. He turned to witness one of his men scalping a woman as she lay there dead. He could care less. Others took what they wanted. Some weapons, food. The horses were always the goods. Could be sold form quite a penny. 

"Hey boss. Rodger has a trail on another tribe just west of here." One of his men Eddy spoke. Eddy wasn't much to look at. He was a scroungy little man that Custer just liked to keep around to entertain him at times. He wasn't used for much but he would be a good escape goat in the future and he was always able to get his slimy little self out of the toughest situations. Custer had to give it to him, the man was a shifty one.

"Well then have the men rest for the night. We move out sunrise." He ordered and the man smiled and lifted his head back letting out a sound between a wheeze an a yeehaw. They man could use a shower, and a toothbrush although most of his teeth was home to termites anyway, if they could get within an inch of his foul breath. 

Custer's faux smile melted as he man walked away slapping the back of other men and telling them the good news. Although he was good entertainment, he was slowly starting to get on Custer's nerves. From his brown smile to the yellow of his eyes and his dirty greasy hair. The man was not worth the shit in a barn. 

But he had bigger things to worry about. It was time to rest and by lunch tomorrow another tribe would be gone. It was the  only way after all. He was doing them all a favor. The Savaged needed to be put down for good, and he was helping.