Princess K

It was sometime in the summer of '02. Mom and I were in...some town in Oregon. Mom was taking a break from truck driving in order to be with Great Grandma Reiley during the last few months of her life. Grandma Reiley's two daughters, my Great Aunts Louis and Mary, were there as well. I rarely saw Grandma Reiley, Mom did that, but I did see a great deal of Aunts Louis and Mary. They decided to treat me as they thought a five year old girl ought to be treated. Taking me out on the beach and to the ice cream shop for an ice cream cone, dressing me up and playing with me. Doing all of the things a mother would do, if she had the time. One day, near the end of our stay, Aunts Louis and Mary gave me a princess dress with shoes, clip on earrings and other jewelry, and kid's make-up. When they decided that I was the "perfect image of a princess" they split up, Aunt Louis to fetch Mom and Grandma Reiley, and Aunt Mary to lead me down the stairs, "just like a real princess." When I reached the landing I saw Mom, Aunt Louis, and Grandma Reiley waiting for the appearance of their little princess. I held my head high, rested my hand on the railing, and descended the rest of the way. My aunts and grandma were smiling, their eyes sparkling, but my mom looked solemn and like she wanted to be anywhere but where she was. I received hugs from all but Mom. My aunts smelled like old ladies and Grandma smelled like lavender, roses, and salt air. When I reached my mom, all she said was, "Don't your ears hurt?" My face fell and the rest of the visit was a blur.