Chapter 1: Going to Midfield

I finished sorting my rock collection and laid the newest additions in front of them. Two of them were very similar to others. I picked them up and held them over my head. They looked better wet. They weren't as vibrant once they had dried. I couldn't decided if they were keepers or not.

"River."

I flinched at the voice. Biting my lip, I thought over what I had done the last couple days. No one had yelled at me. I had stayed near the cave. Groaning, I rubbed my face. Why did the alpha come around so much? I could never tell if he was mad at me.

"River."

I glanced through the tunnel to see red paws. I crawled out and stood with my head bowed in front of the werewolf.

"I looked for you this morning, but I didn't see you in the eating chamber after the hunting party left."

Swallowing hard, I peeked up at him. "Aden brought me more food. I still had some left."

The alpha laughed, shaking his head. I couldn't tell if it was a good or a bad one, though.

"That boy." He rubbed the side of his face. "Well," he patted my head, "I received a phone call this morning. You have an interview."

My chest filled with excitement, and I couldn't help but smile. "Really? With who?"

"Midfield," stated the alpha, with a grin of his own.

"Is that good?" I ran a hand down my furless arm. The alpha was trying to get me a mate, but also create connection with a strong pack. I could only hope I'd end up with a man that would help Northern Ridge gain a new alliance.

"Yes, it is very good." He leaned down to my level. "I'd be very honored to provide a mate for a Midfield werewolf, and I know they will treat you right. So," he stood up straight, "shift and go tell Aden the good news. I want him to come with us."

"Of course, yes alpha." I changed into my wolf and darted down the tunnel on all fours. I raced through the main chamber right to Aden's door. My jointed popped as I changed to my werewolf and barged through the curtains and leaped on the sleeping man.

"I got an interview. They asked me to go. I might have a mate." I hugged him tightly. "Thank you. Thank you so much." My eyes flicked over, and I saw Titus with his lips curled back. "I'm sorry. I... I didn't mean to. Sorry, I'll go." I climbed out of the bed and fled out the door. I sat huddled next to the wall, just waiting for the dominant to chase me down.

How could I have been so stupid? I tugged on my fur and hugged my arms around me. I was just so excited. I might have a mate. I had never been asked to do an interview before. It was serious. It meant they were interested in me. It wasn't just the alpha making an offer, but they were interested, in me. I wanted to scream I was so happy.

"It's alright River," Aden called, and the curtains parted.

I stood and shuffled over. A pillow came flying from inside and smacked him in the head.

"Ow!" Aden snapped.

My heart was pounding, and I fiddled with my tail. "I didn't mean to. I was just so excited, and alpha said to go tell you." I dropped my eyes to the ground."Sorry."

"Don't worry about it."

The alpha's scent grew near. I glanced down the hallway to find the red and black walking toward us.

"And look who's coming to wake him up." Aden glancing inside. "Titus, your dad's here."

"Good morning," said Xavier light hearted.