Chapter 2: Rejection

Aden scrubbed a towel on my head. I hunched into my shoulder. The soap smelt weird, even worse than Peter's collection. There was nothing fresh about what I had been forced to put in my hair. Aden squirted some stuff in his hands and worked it in.

"It smells bad," I muttered.

"Welcome to the human world where flowery artificial scents are very popular."

I stared at the floor. I don't know if I was going to like this civil living. The smells were all wrong.

"It's not that bad." He lifted my chin. "See, you look really nice."

I examined the person in the mirror. My wavy blond hair wasn't frizzy for once, but I preferred to be in my natural form. "Do civil always walk around as human?"

Aden nodded. "From what I understand most of the time, yes. They work with humans. It's best to look like them."

With a sigh, I slumped over.

"Hey." He sat on the counter. "You could get a mate today. And as soon as you got this," Aden pulled over his shirt to show his scar, "you can do whatever the hell you want."

I smiled. That mark had always been something that I wanted. "I just hope he's not too strict."

Aden leaned back on his arms. "I don't think Xavier is going to let someone mate with you unless the alpha knows they'll treat you right. He's partial to you."

My face felt warm. "No, he's not."

"Yes, he is," Aden said firmly. "I don't see him doing this for any of the other omegas."

Biting my lip, I lowered his eyes. He never did, but none of the other omegas wanted to be a sub. They all dreamed of being dominants or middle ranks. I was the only one without the strength to ever move up a rank.

"I'm going to miss you."

My eyes shot up. "It's not for sure yet."

Aden pressed his hand to his chest. "I saw the way that guy got all flustered when I told him your name. If it's the same dude and he's high up there, you're going to be ruling this pack."

I sucked in my lips, trying not to smile. The man Aden described sounded wonderful. I just hoped I ended up with someone close to the image I had in my head.

"Come on." Aden jumped off the counter. "Let's go get something to eat."

I stood and followed him into the room. Xavier and Titus were waiting.

"You look very nice River," said the alpha.

Chewing on my cheeks, I glanced over my clothes. They were nice. I looked like the humans I saw in pictures.

"Knowing Aden, you'll get your man." Titus winked at me.

It threw me off.

"Even if he has to barge in there and knock some head together," said the dominant.

Aden's mouth fell open. "What the hell does that mean?"

"You have some of your mother in you," his mate replied with a shrug.

Aden smacked Titus's arm on the way to the door. "Let's go, River. I'm starving."

I hurried after him with the dominants not too far behind. Downstairs, we were ushered into a large reception hall. Tables line the walls piled with food, and people were sitting in the ones in the middle. There were so many of them. All here for the same reason. My chest tightened.

"Don't you dare." Aden pulled him into a hug.

I rested my head on my shoulder.

"You are far better than any of these people. So don't let it get to you. Alright?"