Prologue

3rd person P.O.V.

It's a rainy night on Lothal. People are retreating into their homes to escape the cold rain.

But someone cannot go home.

There's a young girl, sitting just outside an alley. She's in the fetal position, hiding her face from view. People pass her, not giving her a second thought.

But one, stops, and kneels down to her. "Young one?" She asks. The girl looks up at her, tears running down her cheeks.

The woman looks at her from under her hood. "Why are you crying?" She asks.

The girl wipes her nose. "B-because I can't go home. I'm all alone." She lowers her head.

The woman gently lifts her head up by her chin, giving the young girl a smile. "What's your name?"

The girl blinks and more tears fall. "K-Kari. Kari Rider."

The woman smiles at her. "Well, Kari, let me get you out of the rain." She stands up and offers her hand. The girl hesitates before she takes it and they walk down the street.

The girl doesn't stop crying, but only silent tears fall. She looks up at the woman. "What's your name, Miss?"

The woman doesn't look down at her, as it takes a minute before she responds. "Ahsoka. My name is Ahsoka Tano."

One month later....

Kari sleeps in a tent under a blanket, while Ahsoka is outside dowsing the fire. When she's done, she looks inside the tent at her young friend.

She walks to her and shakes her shoulder. "Kari, wake up."

Kari's eyes flutter open and she sits up, rubbing her eye. "What is it Ahsoka?" She asks with a small yawn.

Ahsoka grabs her shoulders. "I have to leave." Just when Kari's about to object she says, "You can't come."

A sad frown forms on Kari's face. Ahsoka looks at her. "Kari. Look at me." Kari looks up at her. Ahsoka has a serious look on her face. "You can't tell anyone about me. Ever. Don't even tell people you trust. Because if you do, the Empire will make you and anyone you care about tell them everything you know about me by any means necessary."

Kari blinks, surprised at her seriousness. Ahsoka cuts the tension by smiling at her. "You are a very special girl, Kari. And I know we will meet again. Until then, take this." She puts a small coin in her hand. "If you ever meet someone like you, show this to them."

Kari looks at it, raising an eyebrow at the strange symbol on it. "What is this?" But when she looks up, Ahsoka is gone.

Kari frowns and stands up. She runs outside the tent and looks around for her friend but she doesn't find her. Kari's frown grows and she sits on the ground. She stares at the coin for what feels like hours, examining the symbol.

What she doesn't know, is that that symbol is the mark of the Jedi Order.