Chapter 1

Sighing, I absently sipped my burning hot tea and tried not to make a face, because mother would kill me if I didn't manage to look presentable and classy for the rest of the evening

Sighing, I absently sipped my burning hot tea and tried not to make a face, because mother would kill me if I didn't manage to look presentable and classy for the rest of the evening. My long, narrow, floor length gown was itching in places unknown, and the torturous heels were slowly indenting deep gashes on my feet. My jaw was hurting from smiling too widely since the past two hours. The intricate bun that my brown curls were tied into was starting to become a headache. Some old country song was bursting through the air conditioned hall and assaulting my eardrums. The mindless chatter of nosey women were really starting to tick me off.

Cautiously, I took out my phone from the hideous purse and started playing white tiles, trying to beat my own score. Honestly, anything else seemed survivable than sitting here for another minute. I mean, what's the fucking point of a tea party? It can be done by sitting at home and sipping tea and talking nonsense about everybody on the telephone. Why gather everyone in a pristine hall just to show off the wealthiness that runs in your family?

For those of you who aren't familiar with this charade, I am Sophia Collins. Daughter of the prestigious David and Angela Collins, residing in New York. My parents are into the diamond industry, I'm sure I don't have to mention anything else. You get the idea. They're filthy rich and want me to follow their footsteps and takeover their business. Yet, my dream is something else. Coming from such a respected and known family, I am always expected to follow certain instructions. Privacy is a concept unfamiliar to me because I've never been granted it. There are guards and maids following me everywhere. It's a miracle that mom and dad let me enroll into the University. I honestly thought I was going to be homeschooled my entire life, which was practically the
  case until I was 17. Homeschooling basically meant I had zero friends or a social life and the kids of my parents friends were just way too snotty and bratty in my opinion. The first year of college rolled about pretty smoothly though, and I even made a few friends. Although I miss living the typical teenage life: living in a small room with boyband posters hung on the wall, going to parties and breaking curfew, having boyfriends, getting pocket money; I wasn't so fortunate when it came to all this.

"Mrs. Williamson, I'd like to introduce you to my daughter, Sophia," Mother's voice ended my little rant and I looked up to see her standing next to an aged woman wearing a flashy pearl necklace. Here we go...

"Pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Williamson," I plastered my best fake smile and made sure she fell for the it.

"Oh my, your daughter has turned out to be such a lovely lady," Mrs. what-was-her-name-again? exclaimed. Yeah right. Lovely. Me.

"Oh yes, she's mastering in literature at New York University. Just finished her first year. Sophia is a very talented writer, Mrs. Williamson. She loves reading too," Mother sugar-coated my mere love for books. Her cat like eyes narrowed at me, as if daring me to contradict her. I honestly wouldn't mind doing that right now.

"That is just perfect. Romeo is into publishing. This is a sign, Mrs. Collins. This shows how compatible they are for each other!" The woman says gleefully and I widen my eyes. I must've missed something. I definitely must've missed something. She can't be serious. Mom sighed in dejection. Clearly I wasn't supposed to know this yet.

"Oh you haven't told her, Angela?" The lady says, addressing my mother by her first name, which she absolutely despises. "My son and you are getting married, honey," she says condescendingly.

"I beg your pardon?" I actually felt like cussing real bad, but since I've got an image to maintain, I must hold that thought for now unwillingly.

"You, Sophia Collins, is soon going to become Sophia Williamson. Your mother agreed to wholeheartedly for your marriage with my handsome son Romeo," and with this, I smash my invaluable cup of tea onto the floor. Cold rage burns inside me, threatening to tear me apart from inside. My nostrils flared dangerously, the way they usually do when I'm extremely angry.

"Mother, is this true?" I asked in a steely voice, trying despite this havoc to maintain my calmness.

My mother, like the horrible person she is, just nods her head silently.

Is this a fucking joke?! I mean honestly, where are the cameras? When is someone going to peek out from underneath the silky white tablecloth and say 'Boom!'?

"Sophia darling listen to me," My mom tries desperately to control me before I do something that would jeopardise her reputation in the society eternally.

"I am not your fucking darling. And you listen to me! I'll be turning 19 years old next month for God's sake. I haven't even completed my education yet! I don't know what I want to do with life, and all you care about is marrying me off to a guy which I haven't even met yet! And that too for what reason? For family name and wealth! Could you be any more shallow? And you call yourself my mother? You don't deserve that title," Tears brim in my eyes, making my vision infinitesimally blurred. I stamp on the cup with my high heels and fix my mom with a look of pure poison. The room is dead silent, all the eyes of these wealthy bastards turned towards my direction disapprovingly. But I couldn't care less at the moment. Taking me to fashion shows and tea parties was torturous, but this is a borderline crime! My life was anyway as boring as it can get, no way in hell am I even considering getting married right now.

"And find a fucking Juliet for your Romeo," I spit the words at Mrs. Williamson and storm out of the halls as quickly as my heel-clad feet would carry me. There is a limit for everything and mom had definitely crossed hers. I mean, marriage! Is she our of her mind?!

I step outside as the harsh sunlight greets me, making my dress itch even more as I begin to sweat profusely. Hiring a cab, I rush home, with only one thought in mind.

I, Sophia Collins, am running away.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alright guys, finally thought of writing another story. I had this vague idea and really felt like writing it down. Hope you guys enjoy the first chapter and like the concept. Do let me know your thoughts and views on the same...

Swara.