Noticing

Apparently people don't stop to look anymore. Their faces are buried in a cellphone or they are "too busy" to glance at the passing world.

As I walk back to my house where I live with my four brothers and mother, I spot ladybugs in particular.

"Oh Haiku," I addressed my eager pup galloping after me, "do you fancy the ladybugs have a nice evening party once every yellow summer moon?  That they're not the pests we all mistake them for, insects, but faeries in disguise? And when we aren't watching they unfold into their red and black spotted gowns and the grasshoppers into lanky gentlemen in fresh green suits? That the grasshopper kisses the Lady bug's spindly hand? And they stride into a small patch of clearing where lanterns made of white bell flowers are lit up and hung in a circle? And served on clover-leaves are single delectable dew drops to fill you for the night? Then the grasshoppers offer to dance with the Ladies and the miniature couples dance and dance until Night grows old and gives birth to Morning, and the grand yellow moon of a summer's night is still glowing overhead? And when the morning is almost come, the grasshoppers escort their ladies to their individual tulip carriages with fruit flies for horses, and kiss their tired hands once more before they depart and find their ways home before morning? Haiku, how magnificent such a night would be!"

"You've excluded the spiders," he pouted.

"Don't be silly. Spiders aren't insects. They are arachnids." I smiled internally as I imagined the spider-faeries with a dress crafted by gathering her legs together all around her, and her wild spider hair. The grasshoppers would have refused to dance with such a disgrace as the spiders. Perhaps the locusts would be more forgiving, and offer poor dear Spider a dance, chattering all the while in his lace coat wrapping him up tight.

"I wonder where it's held," I asked, referring to the ball. "If people don't look around once in awhile, they're bound to step on a ballroom!"

These things are really very important.