Ryan

One day, I came in and as I started to head towards Tice's room, they told me that I wouldn't find her there. She'd be in the lounge. I was quite surprised. I never thought I'd hear them say that.
     I headed to the lounge, expecting her to be sitting, cross-legged, on the couch, writing away in her journal. I stopped to grab her water, like she always asked for, and walked through the doors to the lounge. I didn't see her at first. I was confused, hadn't they said she'd be here? I scanned the room and found someone crying in a corner. Tice would have to wait I guess.
     I walked towards the crying girl and put my arm around her.
"Hey, are you alright?"
She looked up, and stared at me. It was Tice.
"Tice! I heard you'd be out here! I got you some water," I set the cup beside her and smiled. I was just about to walk away when I heard her whisper something so quiet it was inaudible.
"What was that?"
     She closed her eyes and exhaled, "I said thank you," she said just barely louder. I stared at her in disbelief. She gave a quick half smile and took a sip of water. Her voice was scratchy and quiet, beautiful actually. It caught me so off guard, it took me a minute to focus myself.
"Where's your journal? I thought you'd have it here," I said, trying to keep conversation. Unfortunately, Tice had said all she was going to say. She shrugged her shoulders and looked back at the ground.
I stood up with a sigh and walked out.