Thirteen

When Gabby left for class the next day, I did what I could to help at home. I switched over the laundry she'd put in that morning—I was less afraid of breaking the machine now—folded everything once it dried, and washed the sheets she'd pulled from the bed.

While I waited for the laundry to finish, I looked at our supplies and made note of anything running low. I also found a cookbook with over a dozen cookie recipes. Each recipe had a slight variation, but all had the same basic ingredients: flour, sugar, butter, baking powder (or soda), and vanilla. I added those ingredients to the list as well.

Once I had the bed remade, the laundry put away, and the list in my back pocket, I headed out the door.

Dale was ready with a car on the lift in the right bay when I arrived. I checked the paperwork on his desk for what it needed, then started on the oil change. It felt good to have something to do while Gabby was at school. Reading had helped me from going crazy, but physically doing something was better.

It was close to dinner when Dale told me I could go. I knew I wouldn't make it home before Gabby did, but I still stopped to pick up some more laundry detergent, dryer sheets, toilet paper, and toothpaste. Those items would be easy enough to sneak into the house. The rest of the list, I'd save for another day.

If Rachel wasn't home and Gabby hadn't yet eaten, maybe I could cook her dinner again. The likelihood of Rachel's absence was pretty high. Rachel's social life had altered when she started seeing Peter, and I'd noticed a pattern. She typically spent Tuesday nights at his house, which meant Gabby and I would have tonight together.

Two blocks from home, I noticed the car. It was parked in front of our house and was hard to miss. As I watched, the brake lights turned on; and it pulled away from the curb. I frowned. I knew both Rachel's and Peter's cars, and the one that had just driven away wasn't either.

Something about the car worried me.

With a burst of speed, I made it to the garage to ditch the supplies, then let myself in through the back door. I found Gabby in the living room, standing with her forehead against the front door.

The scent of her fear and confusion laced the air. Worried, I stepped closer as she pushed away from the door.

When she turned and saw me, she started screaming, a blood curdling sound that nearly stopped my heart. With wide eyes, she clapped a hand over her mouth to stop the sound. In the silence, I heard her pounding pulse. Something had scared her before she saw me. What? Or who?

I inhaled deeply. There was a lingering scent in the air, barely there. I breathed in again, tracing the scent. She had something in her front pocket. Something not hers. I glanced down, caught a glimpse of white, and reached forward to pluck the business card out of her pocket. There was nothing but a name and phone number on it.

I looked at her and shook my head, wondering what had upset her so much.

She exhaled shakily and dropped her hand.

"Did you see who was here?" she asked with a slight tremor in her voice.

I shook my head, wishing I hadn't worked late.

"How did you know that was in my pocket?"

I lifted it to my nose.

"Have you ever met Elder Joshua before?"

I shook my head again.

"Have you ever smelled him before?"

Where was she going with these questions? Again, I let her know I hadn't.