0.1

I didn't want to move. I never wanted to move. Delray Beach didn't even sound like a halfway decent place.

I sighed, shifting in my seat and adjusting my earphones. I glanced around the airplane cabin, taking in my surroundings. I never hated traveling, as most people seemed to. I always thought it insinuated a change in atmosphere, but it was always a temporary change. I would always be able to go back home. But not this time. Apparently my father had to be great at his marketing job, and for some reason, he would be even better off in Florida. Even if it meant he would do the exact same thing he had  done when we were in North Carolina. "At least Aunt Leah lives here," I thought.

Leaning forward, I ran a hand through my hair, tying it up in a bun. I always liked my hair, it was a dark brunette color at a half-way point between straight and wavy, making it almost always easy to work with. My eyes, on the other hand, could not get any more boring. At a mix between blue and gray, I never knew what to write on any official documents, licenses, or anything that requested the details of my physical appearance.

With hours of writing, sleeping, and listening to Weezer and Red Hot Chili Peppers having passed, my attention averted to the monotone voiceover resounding throughout the plane. "We will be landing shortly. Please proceed by buckling your seat belts and returning your trays to their upright positions. Thank you for flying with us."

I turned to the window, lifting the shade and taking in the sight of my new home. It was sunny, and the blue water reminded me of that of the Carolina beaches I was so used to. "Probably way warmer, though," I thought.

I flinched at the sudden feeling of a hand on my knee, turning to see my mother with a warm smile, and my father seated next to her. "I don't think this will be as bad as you think," She reassured me. I glanced down at my lap, pressing my lips into a thin line. "I'm hoping not," I mumbled.

The turbulence of the plane interrupted our short-lived conversation. I leaned my head back, tightening my grip on the armrest, holding on for dear life.

<<•>>

As soon as we stepped out into the warm Florida air, we were greeted by a, I guess you could say, very excited Aunt Leah. I guess hanging around a beach town for 3 years by yourself kinda leaves you a little deprived for social interaction with people you actually know.

I stood, watching the exchange of enthusiastic hugs and greetings between my parents and Aunt Leah before she turned to me. She gasped, hugging me, then holding me by my shoulders at arms length. "Rowan! My God, you've grown so much. How old are you now, seventeen? eighteen?" She asked. I laughed, "seventeen, but I'll be eighteen kinda soon, I guess." She smiled, hugging me once more, then taking our bags and loading them into the trunk of her car.

We piled into the car, my mother taking the passenger seat, leaving my father and I to sit in the back seat. My mother and Aunt Leah continued to chat while I felt the exhaustion of traveling wipe over me, prompting me to close my eyes and nod off to someplace in between consciousness and sleep. I never actually went to sleep, though, and the light sound of raindrops beginning fall on the roof of the car caused me to open my eyes. I glanced out the window, seeing the quick passing of beach houses, some extravagant with intricate garden designs and lit pathways, some humble with few decorative plants & accessories adorning the exterior. We continued until we reached a large, gated yard with lush green grass and palm trees decorating the entrance. We pulled into the driveway and I couldn't actually believe that this was my new house. I turned to my dad, shooting him a confused look, pointing to the house as if saying "this can't be right?". He grinned in reply, nodding to confirm my suspicions.

"Dad, how the helł did you guys manage to get this house?" I mumbled, my eyes never leaving the beautiful house. "Promoted jobs call for promoted paychecks, kiddo," He replied. My eyes wandered, studying every detail of the entrance. "This is crazy," I whispered, barely audible.

We pulled into the cobblestone driveway, and I quickly hopped out, grabbing my backpack and suitcase, and dragging them with me to the front door. We had already shipped the rest of our belongings down here last week, and my mom and dad had situated the furniture and decorations weeks ago. I couldn't come with them, though, because I had to stay home and finish my junior year studies. Plus, the extra plane tickets were too expensive to waste money on. Especially when I never really needed to come in the first place.

My father soon followed behind me, reaching in front of me to unlock the door. Opening the door, it only took a quick glance for my jaw to drop. There was a beautiful curving staircase constructed with a glossy oak flooring, and the house even smelled new. I quickly showed myself around the first floor, studying the living room and gourmet kitchen, which looked like it came straight out of a magazine. I found myself stumbling into the master bedroom as well, but I didn't find much interest in there.

I ran up the staircase, turning down the hall to find my bedroom. I opened the first door I came to, but it was a closet. The second was a bathroom, and the third was a pretty basic guest bedroom. The fourth, however, was way more than I had expected out of my own bedroom. It was big, but not too big, and it was beautiful. It was barren, to say the least, but I could immediately envision what exactly I would do to it. When we began packing our things at our old home, I had decided I wanted a completely new room, so we sold most of my things. There were only a few boxes, a mattress, and a television placed in various areas of my room. The glass window stretched across the area of the far wall, and the oak flooring matched that of the rest of the house.
The walls were a white coated brick, distressed, but just enough. I thought it was insanely perfect.

I turned a full 360, taking in every angle of my new room. Taking a deep breath, I headed back down the stairs to gather my bags. Heading back upstairs, I returned to my bedroom and took a seat on my bare mattress. I really wanted to start putting my stuff away and decorating, but my body was completely exhausted. I lied down on the mattress, studying the bland detail of the white ceiling.

I can decorate tomorrow, anyways.

------

A/N
HIIIIIII THIS IS SHORT BC I SUCK and also it's the beginning of the story
BUT this is also really the first story I've ever written so pls have a little grace when ur judging me. also idk when I'm gonna go back & edit, soooo if it looks like I typed it with my feet I apologize & also let me know so I can fix that

anyways IM REALLY EXCITED. HOPE U ARE TOO.

adios