Chapter 8- Adjustment

After nearly three weeks, Christine was becoming quite used to Erik, and his adoration towards her continued to grow. They had voice lessons daily, which were going exceedingly well. Christine's voice was getting better and better. At night, they would read in the library or simply sit in silence looking into the fire contently. Erik could tell that she didn't fear him as she once had, or so he hoped. Occasionally, he thought he even saw a glimmer of affection appear in her beautiful green eyes when he complimented her after a voice lesson. It was probably his imagination playing tricks on him, though.

Christine also noticed that their relationship was beginning to change. He did not seem to be the monster that she once was so fearful of. She had actually grown to care for him.

Everything seemed to be going really well. In Erik's mind, things were going exactly as planned. Christine was beginning to like her new situation and was forgetting her old one. She was so alone and unhappy in Asheville. Here, she was wanted. She had him, she had Ayesha, she had nourishment, she had a library, and she had music..so much music.

Everything they needed was right in front of them. No more tragedies, no more unfairness. It seemed nothing could go wrong.

But nothing stays perfect forever...

One night while Christine was asleep in her bed and Erik was dozing in the library, a cell phone began buzzing in his pocket. It was the very cell phone he had used to speak to Christine when he kidnapped her. Keeping it in his pants pocket was one of his many habits and it was easy to forget it was there. This being said, Erik was startled out of his dozing position in the library arm chair from the vibrating.

He reached into his pocket with an angry hand. Who in the hell could be calling me? No one knows this number. No one except... He pulled the cell phone out of his pocket and looked at the caller ID. Nadir Kahn.. Damn.. What could he want?

The last thing he wanted was to wake Christine, so his first whispered word into the phone was, "What?"

"Erik, old friend, how are you?" Nadir greeted, as if Erik's rude way of answering was nothing new.

"What do you want?" Erik was agitated, to say the least. He glanced at the Grandfather clock nearby and closed his eyes awaiting a reply.

"Well, I am nearby and would like to stop by for a visit."

Erik instantly sat up a little straighter. He cannot do that! "Daroga, it is two o'clock in the morning and you wish to stop by?"

"Yes. I doubt I have woken you. As I recall, you do not sleep much. I have been driving for quite some time and only hoped-"

Erik interrupted. "As a matter of fact, you did wake me, so do not claim to know me after all these years."

This was not how Nadir had hoped their conversation would go. "Well, I apologize for waking you-"

"Why have you returned?" Erik interrupted again.

"I would like to stop by and talk with you in person, Erik."

"Why won't you tell me now?"

"Because I do not wish to waste the minutes on my cell phone." Nadir, too, could have a temper when put to the test.

Erik had to put a stop to this. "You cannot come by, Kahn," he firmly stated.

"Why in Allah's name not? We haven't seen each other in nearly eight years. I've come to make amends. Please."