Chapter 1

Solum

Chapter I

"Reagan." Her voice was hoarse and raspy. She could taste the faint trickle of blood that ran down the corners of her lips. It tasted cold and metallic and reminded her of her cell. She had been crouched in a corner, arms wrapped around legs that were pulled tightly up to her chest.

She looked to her side, peering behind the two sets of bars that separated the two. Reagan, with his body slumped over against the wall. His head hung low, eyes shut, giving off the appearance that he was in a deep slumber.

"Yeah?" He answered. His voice was rugged and worn. His eyes fluttered open and he looked towards the girl. Her eyes traced his figure, taking in every detail. He had changed drastically since the first time the two met. His hair was long and black, now stopping at his shoulders. Stubble lined his chin from ear to ear. His face rigid and hard. His frame frail and weak.

His eyes were what bothered her the most. They looked drawn, rimmed with red and covered with heavy bags. They were cold, and void of emotion. Those light brown eyes no longer held a spark or the hopeful naivete of a child. Though she was certain she had changed as well. She could feel it, unlike Reagan, it was as if a light had been turned on inside of her.

"What's a beach?" She asked twirling her fingers in her lap. Though she already knew the answer to that question, he'd already told her about it. She just wanted to hear it again. His stories about the outside world enthralled her, for it was long since she'd last seen it. And even then the memories were fading her. She couldn't help but question him about it once more.

Reagan chuckled lightly, the sound vibrated through her ears forcing a smile onto her lips. She enjoyed his laughter even more so than his tales. He closed his eyes, and she knew he was reminiscing upon the memories of the days with his family.

He had told her about the countless afternoons spent with his family at the beach behind his house. It was one one of his favorite memories. He let out a sigh, "Well, you remember what the sky looks like, don't you?" The girl closed her eyes and nodded her head enthusiastically. Images of the light blue sky invaded her mind.

"Now picture the sky but instead, it's on the ground-"

"That's the ocean", she interjected, grinning at the images in her head.

He let out a small laugh before continuing, "Imagine the sun shining down on the ocean, illuminating the surface. The waves crashing against the sand, creating a white film."

She did as she was told, she could picture it all. The hot sand squishing beneath her feet and sending a warm comforting shock to her toes. The scent of salt wafting up her nose as the seagulls took to the skies.

The sun beaming down at her bringing with it a soothing warmth. She opened her eyes again, Reagan's startling cough snatching her back to reality. She hadn't even realized he stopped talking.

Before, his stories served as a reminder, taunting her of the things that she so desperately craved but were out of her reach. Now she clung onto them, in a last ditch attempt to escape her own realities. They gave her a chance to hope that she would one day experience the world outside these walls. One day have her own stories to share.

"Shhh," Raegan whispered. He had a finger placed upon his lips, his eyes sent her a silent message. She nodded in understanding and did as she was told. Her breathing hitched as she listened until she heard the jangling of keys. The entrance of the room unlatched.

The room, though not a room but instead a long wide hallway, had cells that flanked it's left and right, each holding a prisoner of its very own. A narrow hallway positioned itself in the center. A wide iron door with a single keyhole stood in the middle. Reagan's and her cells were across from each other and the farthest away from the door. The room reeked of death and decay; a putrid scent that the two had grown accustomed to over the years.