Chapter 2

I was in the front seat of the truck. The full moon hung low in the beautiful star-filled sky.

Daniel was driving at full speed down the main highway in my new light-filled city.

Bismarck wasn't like the towns I was used to living in; it was lively. I was used to living in the small towns, which were usually asleep at this hour.

But Bismarck wasn't like that, people were walking down the street and into shops. Cars crowded the busy streets, and buildings were lit up with many coloured lights.

I wish I could've been flying over it right about now, but it would be impossible to do so. What with all the people, and light.

Vince was in the back seat chattering away about where we should go to eat. I laughed to myself.

"Do you ever stop thinking about food?" I asked him.

"Do you ever shut up?" he retaliated.

"I barely ever talk to you anymore Vince. So how can I shut up when I don't say anything?" I asked him.

"Well, it used to be that we couldn't get you to shut up," he muttered.

"Well, I'm different now."

It was true. I used to speak everything that I thought. But in the past few years, I hadn't said much. Since the day my Dad was taken to prison...

"Okay so how about we go exploring," said Daniel, pulling off the main road and going into the downtown area and parking up.

We got out of the car and started to walk down the road. There were so many stores. I was like a kid at Disney World: I couldn't stop looking around. It was truly remarkable. I walked into a few stores, looking at everything in sight. We continued walking for a while.

My brothers looked uninterested.

"What's wrong with you two?" I asked looking at them, slugging along.

"Hungry," Vince said. I looked at him.

He looked at me, and then I noticed the tired, exhausted look in his eyes. He didn't mean hungry, he meant thirsty.

"You need to eat?" I asked, giving them both the meaningful look.

They nodded.

I sighed. They hadn't eaten in a month or so. I couldn't remember the last time I'd eaten.

"Okay let's go find the dark," I said and took the lead, my brothers following behind me.

We walked for a long time until we reached the outskirts of the main town. We went off the sidewalk and near the trees. It was a little darker around here.

I looked at my black digital watch. It was 2 am.

I looked around and saw a bar a little ways down the road. It looked like people were coming out. Perfect.

"Come on, there's a bar up there," I said to my brothers behind me.

We ran, keeping to the shadows, careful not to let a passing car see us.

We came up onto the parking lot of the bar, and slowed to a walk, my brothers at my back. I could hear their stomachs grumble as they smelled the humans just a few meters from us.

"Okay. When the crowd thins a little, go around the back and find your target," I said, though I didn't need to. We were hunters. We knew the best way to get our prey.

We waited impatiently for a few minutes until a few of the more sober humans left in cars. And then, silently, we made our way in between the ally of the bar and some other building. We looked out at the few left outsides. Some were just walking around lazily, stumbling.