TWENTY-NINE

River

"What the hell... hey!" I yelled and charged towards Claudia, giving her a hard shove on the shoulders. "What's your deal, bitch?!"

"I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean that," Claudia held her hand to her mouth, her expression remorseful. She took a step closer to Maxine and held out a shaky hand. "Max, I'm so sorry."

I smacked her hand away and pushed her again. "Don't you dare touch my girlfriend again! Or I'll make sure you'll regret it."

Maxine tugged at my wrist and then shook her head at me, as if telling me to let it go. Gabby was beside her examining her face.

"Claudia, you should go," Britt said in an irritated tone. "Cause if I were you, I'd leave now before things get more intense."

Claudia glanced back at Maxine and then down at her hand on my wrist before she finally spun around and started walking the other way. Maxine released her grip on my wrist and turned around wordlessly, making her way back into the club. Gabby ran after her, while Britt walked up to me and rubbed my back gently. I managed a helpless smile and she motioned for me to follow her back inside as well.

I finally met Bowie, Britt's older brother and owner of Club Monet when Britt led me to his office, where he had given Maxine an ice pack to ease her cheek.

"Hi there," the blonde short-haired muscly dude greeted me. "You must be River? Quite an encounter with Claudia back there, huh. Anyway, I gotta get back to the party and entertain all those VIPs. You kids holler at me if you need anything else okay."

"Thanks Bow," Maxine looked up at the guy as he patted her head before exiting the room. She was seated on a red suede sofa at the side of the room. I made my way over and sat beside the girl.

Britt glanced around the office and then out the door. "Gabby went to the toilet, did she? I'll go look for her and we'll get some drinks for the two of you as well. Be right back."

Maxine nodded. She lowered her left hand from her cheek and placed the ice pack on the coffee table in front of us, before wiggling her eyebrows playfully at me.

"Your ex-girlfriend just punched you, Max. How are you still unaffected?" I looked at her incredulously. I reached out and held her chin in place, taking a closer look at the darkening patch under her left eye.

"You're staring at the part which is affected," Maxine rolled her eyes. "Besides, this is not the first time."

"She hit you before?!" I gasped. Maxine retained her calm expression. I crossed my arms and glared at her, expecting an explanation.

Maxine sighed, taking my hand and placing it on her lap. "It was once. She's an addict and addicts react differently to everything. But hey, I'm still alive aren't I?"

"I won't let her hurt you again," I let go of my hand from Maxine's and carefully held her face. "I love you, okay? I'll fight Claudia if I have to."

Maxine chuckled, then kissed my left palm. "You just did, didn't you babydoll? Which was very, very sexy of you actually. I remember when I used to bully you, but now you're kicking the asses of the people who bully me."

"That's because only I can bully you now," I replied smugly. My girlfriend laughed mockingly at my comment before I lightly poked a finger on her bruise. She yelped at the pain and I laughed at her right back before leaning in to give a gentle kiss on her injured cheek.