Chapter 1

"Patience is not the ability to wait, but the ability to keep a good attitude while waiting."- Joyce Meyer

Avanti glanced around, a bittersweet taste forming on her tongue as she recognized her surroundings.

She wanted to be here, but not under these conditions.

The plantation was a beautiful place. However, the heat was unbearable and the exertion it took to pick out crops everyday made a day's work tiresome and almost impossible for the human body. 

But that did not matter, for the slaves continued to work under these bestial conditions as perspiration began to bead over their mahogany skin.

Avanti, shaking her head, realized that she had been daydreaming for too long. Every second was precious and that could cost her. She quickly jumped down from the tree that she was collecting apples from and ran towards the mansion's back-door. As she rushed, she brushed off the leaves that stuck to her "dress."

Her "dress" was brown, shredded at the bottom and showed plenty of skin; a requirement for a woman of her caliber.

The white men wanted easy access to her body in case they ever felt the urge to take her. Which, had not happened to her, yet. Though, under these conditions, it was bound to happen.

The white men acted as if they were hawks. Their animalistic eyes would roam up and down the enslaved body of woman; a hungry look evident and revolting to any passerby. They stepped closer, ready to attack as their claws came undone and gripped onto a woman with a grip so tight it would leave a bruise for weeks.

Avanti closed her eyes, breathing in and out to try to sooth her nerves that jumped up and down. It made her stomach feel like it was going to explode and cease to work, even with the benefit of repair.

She stepped inside of the house, softly closing the door behind her with a click. She looked left to right, trying to make sure that her head master was not in sight. When she figured the coast was clear, she quickly shuffled into the kitchen.

"Who let you in the house, Negro?!" Avanti came to a halt and spun around, her view directed at the ground.

"Y-your wife, s-sir." She stuttered, her gaze focused on the ground as her lips trembled

Head Master, Mr. Scott, moved closer to her as he licked his dry lips and examined her skittish state. "You know, I don't like when you mumble." He whispered in her ear, successfully sending a shiver down her spine.

Avanti looked around for help, knowing that no one would dare fight the master. That would automatically be a death sentence.

She cleared her throat and spoke with a firm, yet fragile voice. "Your wife, sir."

Avanti bit her tongue as smooth fingers traveled around her cheek and gripped her chin. "Mhm, that's what I thought. Janise!" He suddenly yelled, forcing Avanti's eyes upwards causing a gasp to emerge from her throat.

"Are you lying to me?" She stared into his eyes for a minute, seeing his anger build in his beady orbs. He shook her roughly. "Don't make me ask you again!"

"No, sir! I'm not lying! She wanted me to pick her a basket full of apples. I swear." She heard a pair of feet shuffle towards them, which stood in the center of the kitchen.

"What's going on in here, James?" His wife asked, eyes connecting with the poor girl he was holding captive.

"Did you allow this Negro to come in our house?!" He boomed, effectively scaring both women.

"Y-yes." She cleared her throat. "I told her to pick me some apples, so I can have her make us a pie for church tomorrow." James eyes connected with his wife to make sure she wasn't trying to cover up for his weak slave.