Chapter 15 - Ace

Well, that was irritating.

Ethan actually convinced Lucilia to follow me. I'm stunned and a little disappointed. Stunned because Luce has never tried to follow me before, and disappointed because maybe, just a little part of me, wanted her to discover more about me.

It is best this way, though.

If secrets are what keep her safe, then I'll lie my way through life. A bad habit to have, perhaps, but I will not let her get hurt.

Determination to protect her courses through me, as I weave between trees in the evergreen forest.

First on the agenda today: get cash. Second: get food. Third: get Lucilia home. Fourth: feed Queenie and put her to bed. Fifth: homework. Shouldn't be too bad.

Tromping through the woods, I eventually reach one of the clearings in the woods. Completely devoid of trees, the roughly-shaped circle's only inhabitant is the green grass growing sparsely.

People stand around a smaller circle of dirt in the middle of the clearing, and coolers of beverages and table lay to the right under the shade of the towering trees, which stand like a barrier to the outside world. The people scream and hoot, some slumping when they lose the money the bet. I make my way to the coolers and the person collecting cash from the drink sales.

When he sees me, his head perks up. "Ace," he shouts. "Good to see ya, man. You fightin' tonight?"

"When do I not, Riley?"

"Good point, good point."

Riley is one of the few people I do not mind in this town. With dark caramel skin contrasted by light, almost sand-colored, eyes, his imposing appearance and height intimidates many. The lip piercing, army cut hair, and bulky physique adds to his menacing aura.

He eyes me. "What happened to you? You look mauled."

"A fight."

He scoffs. "That you lost? Sure, I'll believe that."

Shrugging, I say, "Believe what you want." I gesture to the brawling ring and rowdy crowd. "Any new fighters?"

Leaning on his table, he rubs the short beard he has been growing, contemplating. "Yeah, a really good one, too. About your height, maybe a little shorter. Close to your age, too. I imagine you'll be seeing' 'im at school. He's fast, though, and his form's good. Looks pro. Probably training to be one." Riley considers me for a moment. "You want to use it tonight?."

I smirk. "Of course."

He chuckles, reaching under the table and retrieving a dark mask, black with silver, flaming designs. Riley tosses it to me, and I catch it easily. Checking for any bystander, I only notice the roaring hoards, cheering at some fool's unfortunate broken nose. No one watches, so I slip on the mask, slightly cool from the fall air whistling through the leaves.

"And the beast has returned," Riley smiles. "Teach the rookie some manners for me, eh?"

I stalk away to the large, hooting crowd. "Of course," I shout back.

Weaving through the people, I receive many grumbles, until they see the mask. Whispering begins, and one particular upset gambler yells, "Show 'im his place, Beast!"

I flash him my right canine in a confident grin, and the crowd cheers wildly. The air pulses with their excitement, bloodlust, and desire for revenge over lost money. They shove past each other to reach the betting side of the clearing, some violently tossing down their cash onto the tables. Soon the trampled, dirt circle loses its human wall, and a lone figure stands, looking around in confusion.