twelve

I peeked my eyes open hours later, but it felt like I was asleep for ten minutes.

My room was filled with continued darkness. Rain was still hitting the window, cold rushing through the glass. There still seemed to be lightening, so nothing was different from when I fell asleep.

Except there was a dark figure who had gotten up, causing the bed to creak. She started tip-toeing around the room, searching for her things.

I frowned, staying quiet as Lennon put her jacket on, pulling her hair out from under the collar. She continued to look for what I assumed were her hot-pink crocs.

My vision was still blurry, but I squinted hard enough to read the clock that said 4:56.

"Lennon." I called out weakly, clearing my throat of my voice, scratchy from my slumber.

She jumped at her name, and turned towards me,"I'm sorry. Did I wake you?"

I turned to the nearby lamp, clicking it on. I turned back to Lennon,"It's okay. Where are you going?"

Her hands tightened around the belt that hung loosely in the loops of her jacket,"Home. We still have school tomorrow."

She was going home at this time? I rubbed my eyes with the back of my hands and pressed my feet to the floor,"I'll come with you."

Her eyes went towards the floor as she laughed, but it wasn't the melodic, genuine kind. It was the kind that you do nervously in an awkward situation.

"I'm fine, you should get back to sleep." She nodded her head, her injured hand referring towards my bed.

"I can sleep later."

She dropped to the floor, grabbing her croc from under the bed and slipping it on. Then, she pushed her hair behind her ear, her eyes still looking to the ground.

"I'll just, uh, grab my uniform..." I went towards the closet and grabbed my shoes, polo, pants, and socks, stuffing them into the backpack I use for school. I scratched my head, trying to think what else I needed.

"Calum, really, it's okay..." She assured. My head snapped towards her, her eyes wide on me.

"I don't want you to be alone."

I darted to the bathroom, grabbing my toothbrush and throwing it in the bag too. I threw it on my back and looked around for more things I needed.

"I think I'm ready, let's go?" I suggested.

The drive isn't nearly as long as the walk, around 8 minutes, tops.

Lennon had given me a blanket and pillow to lay down on the couch as she went to go take a shower.

"You aren't going back to sleep?" I had asked.

She shook her head,"I need to shower. Cleanliness is next to godliness." She quoted.

"Who said that?" I inquired.

"The bible? I think."

"You read the bible?" I questioned accusingly, laughing at the end.