One: The Offer

"So we're on for tonight?" Chad asked, leaning against his locker.

"Pick me up at seven," I responded.

He winked and pecked my cheek before walking away.

Chad Roscoe had asked little old me out on a double date tonight. On the exterior, I was as cool as a cucumber but that was all a facade. He was your typical dreamboat. His blonde hair was always perfectly tousled and his eyes, oh his eyes. They were a mixture of the sky and grass creating some of the most beautiful blue-green eyes I had ever seen. Chad was captain of the basketball team while also managing to be our class valedictorian. He was perfect in my eyes.

My daydreaming was interrupted by a loud locker door slamming right beside my left ear. I rolled my eyes and groaned at the sound of my locker mate for the past three years, Wesley Ridges.

"Snap out of it, princess." He bickered.

He knew how to get on my nerves. "Fuck you," I retorted.

Wesley put his hand over his heart and pretended to be injured. "Oh you hurt me deep, Lowell. Right in my heart."

"I could've sworn you didn't have a heart," I flipped my hair over my shoulder and finished getting what I needed out of my locker.

"Your comebacks have improved, I'll admit. But I always have the last word."

"You wish, Ridges." I closed my locker shut and started walking away.

"You're right, I am your wish!" He shouted across the hall.

I couldn't help but laugh to myself. He's an arrogant asshole and fighting with him sometimes makes my day. I swear it's not as screwed up as it sounds; sometimes I actually think we're friends. We don't actually hate each other. Us bickering all the time is how our friendship works. I'm not really sure how or when we established this but we did.

He moved to Belmont from some small town in Florida our sophomore year. I helped him get around but of course there were disputes along the way. We were both outspoken and at times stubborn so it was bound to happen. However, at the end of the day, he thanked me. We've kind of been inseparable ever since.

❋❋❋❋❋❋

I arrived at my best friend's house to get ready for my date with Chad. Astrid was always happy to help but this was an occasion she couldn't miss. Everyone in Hallendale High wanted to score a date with Chad Roscoe. Tonight, I happened to be the chosen one. I wasn't the only lucky girl. Astrid had a date with his best friend, Grayer Thompson. It was truly written in the stars for us.

I got dressed and started working on my makeup while Astrid did my hair. We'd alternate as soon as we were done. It was a system we had perfected.

"Okay, so this is how things are going to work tonight. We get there. Chad and Gray glance at us and immediately fall in love. We live happily ever after and we have a double wedding," Astrid said excitedly.

I laughed, "You've officially gone insane."

"Naomi, you know I'm kidding," she giggled. "You just look so tense, I thought I'd cheer you up by saying something stupid."

"On the contrary, I'm calmer than I thought I'd be."

"Don't you think that might be an issue?" She asked.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, aren't you meant to be excited? You are going on a date with the 'it' boy. There's supposed to be butterflies in your stomach," she stated as a matter-of-factly.

She had a point but it's not like I didn't want him. I just didn't feel nervous. "People handle things differently, A."

Astrid shrugged and kept curling my hair. We switched and finished in no time. I texted Chad the address he needed to come to and patiently waited for his arrival. Astrid paced back and forth, looked in the mirror a couple of hundred times, and tried to find something wrong with her outfit almost every second. Was I supposed to be acting like that?

A door bell interrupted my thoughts as Astrid rushed to open the door. She had transformed from a nervous wreck to a calm and collected girl. It amazed me every time. The guys greeted us and we made the usual small talk. Whenever Chad would smile at me, I felt the urge to swoon. He was gorgeous.

The rest of the night went as planned. We went to dinner and headed to the movies afterwards. I was expecting at least one of them to try and pull a fast one on us but both remained gentlemanly. I was genuinely shocked. The date went flawlessly and ended with a goodnight kiss.

Tonight I was sleeping over at Astrid's house and it seemed like I wouldn't be getting much sleep. She would not stop going on about how great it went. I didn't blame her but it was nothing special.

❋❋❋❋❋❋

The next day, I planned to go shopping. My brother, Jesse, would have to drive me; to say the least, I felt twelve again. My car was in the shop because something was wrong with the brakes so I was stuck asking people for rides for the day.

Usually I'd ask Astrid or another one of my friend's to come along but this was something that I wanted to get over with. I had to buy a dress for my Aunt Trix's wedding. I had two hours to find something I liked so I went straight away to a boutique called "Bella Rose".

With the help of the cheery worker at the front desk, I found the ideal outfit. Feeling accomplished, I walked to the food court and treated myself to a frozen yogurt. I texted Jesse and got no response after half an hour. I started blowing up his phone and even called him. I got no answer.

"You know, princess, if you scrunch your face up any more than that you'll get wrinkles." I heard a deep voice say.

I looked up in front of me and saw Wesley standing there with a smirk on his face. "Not today, Ridges."

"Oh come on, it's always a good day to bug you." He took the liberty of taking a seat in front of me. "What's with the frown?"

"I'm stranded," I whined, crossing my arms.

He laughed, "You're so fucking dramatic."

"You know if you're not gonna help-" I started.

"Get up." He stood up.

"What?"

"You wanna go home or not?" He offered.

With that, we were off.

***

A/N: So this chapter was a little rushed but I want to start working on their relationship and how that situation is going to play out. Editing will be going on so if you see any changes, that's why. I'd love your feedback so let me know of any improvements you think I could make.