Through The Looking Glass

Dedicated to my little cousin Freddy for his 13th birthday. I started writing this back in May and thinking about doing it for my little cousin tonight helped me finish the story itself and so I changed the Name of the main character and to added the names of his friends although he hasn't got a crush on any girls because that's 'gross' haha.

About 4,800 words

By Ceylan Karakas

Freddie was tired so decided to head home as it was after midnight. Halloween was fast approaching and he wanted to come up with a better costume than Daniel, to win the competition. Freddie was just thinking about how to ask Frost, the girl he'd had a crush on since primary school, to the big Halloween ball when Daniel gave him a fist bump. Freddie then left to make his long journey home.

Freddie was half way home when he decided to take a shortcut through The Phoenix Gardens. It was a cool October night so it made everything beautiful in an eerie way. The changing colours of the leaves scattered across the grass, the dark streets surrounding the park, empty and quiet, the clear star filled sky with the nearly full moon, made it all look so picturesque. Covent Garden in London was far too quiet for a Thursday morning, Freddie thought to himself when suddenly he saw something out the corner of his eye. It had run behind a big oak tree so spinning around, he started walking over to the tree but before he reached it he heard a hushed whisper saying "I told you this would be a bad idea! Father will be so angry if we are caught in this world without an escort!" Freddie stared at the girl behind the tree, her skin pale as freshly fallen snow, wearing a beautiful bright orange dress that he noticed was made from petals. Taking it all in, he realised the dress was created from a water Lilly. He was startled to the realise that she was flying! Freddie saw she had these beautiful coloured wings with purple, pink, orange, green and red entwined together to make them unique. He tried to step closer quietly but snapped a twig, making enough noise to startle the girl and the little man that was standing in front of her on the ground.

The little man did not have wings but he was big, ugly and was wearing a torn, old green top and had bright orange hair poking out in every direction. He was not wearing trousers or shoes so Freddie could see his big, over-sized, hairy feet. The winged girl gasped and the little man turned on Freddie and said "Who are you?! Be gone with you now, silly human and do not ever speak of us!" Freddie just looked at them shocked and when he found his voice all he could think to say was "You are beautiful." While he continued to stare at the girl like she was a science project. This time it was the girl that spoke to him. "Please just go as you will put us all in grave danger. Leave and do not tell anyone you saw us. The king will be so angry if he knows we snuck away!" Freddie was getting even more curious so replied, "Father? The king? What are you?" The girl replied "I am Forest, the fairy and this is Boris, the troll. We come from another world, a different realm from yours in every way possible, but we came here while everyone was getting ready for the big All Hallows' Eve trip." Freddie looked slightly confused and said "You are mythical creatures from another realm?" Forest said exasperatedly "Yes! We come from another realm and tomorrow night we all will be able to walk this realm without being noticed by humans for just 24 hours with the help of the king's fairy dust. There will be trolls, warlocks, witches, vampires, werewolves, fairies, dragons, elves, mermaids, mermen, giants and unicorns. We are allowed in this realm and can disappear into the crowds of people wearing what you so originally named costumes, as we keep aspects of our original forms with us when we enter this world. I will keep my wings but will be the same size as a human girl, Boris will grow to the size of what you call little people, the dragons will shrink to the size of two humans in a costume but will have the ability to communicate with humans, the mermen and mermaids will have the ability to walk on land but will keep their beautifully coloured scales on their legs, as long as they stay dry and the mermaids will still be wearing their shell bikini tops, the giants will shrink to that of 7 foot, the werewolves will not change but humans will also be able to communicate with them and their hunger will be under control, Vampires will have no blood lust for the night and the unicorns will also have a voice to communicate with humans." Freddie just stood there with his mouth open like he was giving the wildlife somewhere to sleep for the night, then addressed Boris and exclaimed "You should all come to our Halloween ball that my high-school is throwing! It is going to be amazing, extravagant and very elegant, plus everyone is going to be dressed up so no one would even notice you don't go there, especially as it is being held in the Hilton Hotel."