11 : the girl

"Paris? Wake up," A voice broke through my dreams. Who could have gotten in my house? I sat up and opened my eyes to find Kyle bending over me. By reflex, I slapped him. "What was that for?" He rubbed his cheek and stood up straight.

I shrugged and fell back into my feather down blankets. "Hey, don't be like that." I felt him tug on my blanket until I had had enough.

I sat up and rubbed my eyes. I slowly stood up and started pushing the intruder out of my room. I pushed him down the stairs and into the kitchen. I could see that the glass from the previous had been cleaned up.

"There was mirror shards on the floor so I cleaned them up," well that answered that question. "What are you doing?"

Great question, genius. I pushed Kyle to the door which I then opened. He looked at me and I nodded towards the outside.

"What?" I swear, he is so stupid. I stepped behind him and shoved him out the door, slamming it behind him. I locked the door and looked out the window next to it. He stood there and stared at the closed door in front of him.

When Kyle finally noticed me staring out the window he began to talk. Why can't he ever just shut up?

"What was that for?" I looked around for a piece of paper and a pencil. When I had written what I wanted I placed the paper against the glass for him to read.

I don't enjoy people breaking into my house.

"I didn't break in, the door was open. I noticed when I went to get my mail this morning. I wanted to see if you were alright." I rolled my eyes at him. I don't remember leaving the door open but then again I don't remember shutting it either. "Fine, don't believe me. I saw that you got the note I left."

Yeah I did. Kyle, you are a hand full of roses.

He beamed at the words I had written.

By that, I mean thorns in a cheap bouquet.

I smiled and he stuck out his bottom lip. "That's mean. Come on, please let me in."

Crossing my arms, I shook my head.

"Please?" I rolled my eyes and opened the door. "Thank you." I closed the door behind him. An awkward silence filled the room.

After a moment I realized that I was extremely hungry. I noticed this when my stomach decided to do an impression of a dying whale. Kyle laughed and I shot him a glare. He immediately stopped. After a moment I felt laughter bubbling up inside of me. I swallowed it down and got myself a bowl from the cabinet above the sink. I poured my cereal and milk and ate my breakfast. The whole time Kyle stood by the door and watched.

When things started to get just a little too awkward for my taste, he finally spoke, "So, why was there a broken mirror?"

I shrugged, drinking the milk at the bottom of my cereal bowl before placing into the sink. Remembering my bloody knuckles from the night before, I pulled my sleeves down to cover my hands.

"Well okay then, I wanted to talk about yesterday. I am really sorry for trying to push you to tell me what happened. It was wrong of me. You don't have to talk to me, but I wanted to know if you could listen." I didn't understand what he was trying to say. "I don't feel comfortable talking to my family or Mrs. Moore but for some reason I feel like I can talk to you. I just get this feeling that you might understand."

I thought over what he had just said. He gave me a questioning look as if asking if it was okay for him to go on. Kyle let out a sigh when I finally nodded.

"So it's fine if I talk to you?" I nodded again. "Right now?" I sighed and nodded.

I led him to the couch and we sat down. What was I doing? I didn't have to listen to him ramble on for who knows how long. But for some reason, I wanted to know his story.