Meet the boss

I stand up thanking the assistant for her help and walk to the door.

I stop to adjust my suit one last time. The first impression is always the biggest one. I plaster on my iconic fake smile and walk in.

I push open the door and stumble through, tripping over my own feet, and falling head first into the office.

"FUCK!" I scream at the top of my lungs. It was an impulse...

I get up off the ground and start to fix my hair. As I was doing this I noticed Mr. Grey's head go up from looking down at his work. I start to blush.

"I'm sososososososo sorry Mr. Grey I didn't mean to it was an-"

"Of course it was. Take a seat." He said with a serious tone. He was clenching his jaw and looking back at the papers on his desk. I walk over and sit on the chair in front of his desk. I can tell that he is doing something with the papers so I decide to look around the room. It is a very fancy and big office. Everything in the room is very expensive. Even his pens look expensive!

"Like what you see?" He startles me. I jump when I hear his voice. How long has he been looking at me looking at his office?!

He extends his hand out to me. "Well hello Mr. Squarepants, I'm Christian Grey."

"Oh um, Mr. Squarepants is indisposed, so he sent me, I hope you don't mind Mr. Grey."

"And you are?" His voice is warm, possibly amused, but it's difficult to tell from his impassive expression. He looks mildly interested, but above all, polite.

"Jacob Sartorius. I'm in Spongebob's- I mean Mr. Squarepant's English class."

"Well then.. shall we begin?" He says with a smirk.

"Of course!" I set up the mini-disc recorder and am all fingers and thumbs, dropping it twice on the coffee table in front of me. Mr. Grey says nothing,waiting patiently – I hope – as I become increasingly embarrassed and flustered. When I pluck up the courage to look at him, he's watching me, one hand relaxed in his lap and the other cupping his chin and trailing his long index finger across his lips. I think he's trying to suppress a smile.

"Sorry.. I never really do this kind of thing."

"Oh really? I couldn't tell," He says while smiling. "Take all the time you need."

I press the record button on the recorder and the interview starts.

"So first of all, what do you owe your success to?" I glance up at him. His smile is rueful, but he looks vaguely disappointed.

"Business is all about the people, Mr. Sartorius. I know what ticks people off and what they enjoy. I pick an exceptional team of people that work for me, and I reward them well. I make my decisions based on fact for this company. Something, most people wouldn't do. I'm a natural at it and my business has been doing extremely well. In the end, all of it, has to do with the people."

"Maybe you're just lucky." I say. That wasn't on the card. His nostrils flare.