Saviour

That was it. That was their final straw. They were finally going to leave after many failed attempts of trying to convince themselves not to. They had wanted to for a while, even back when they had still lived in Three Spires, but Lea's death made the decision. There was nothing left for them; not here, at least. They wanted to go back home. They would go alone if it really came down to it, but they had a feeling it wouldn't. They had a feeling that someone would go with them, even though that person knew very well that it was dangerous for just the two of them, and that feeling soon proved to be true.

The night was cold and quiet. Sidney had told Regan of his plans during the day, but he understood. He took that time alone with Sidney to tell them that he loved them and that he was all too eager to go with them. He told them of the note he left in their tent and that they must've overlooked it, and Sidney was overjoyed. They loved him, too. They made sure that this is what he wanted to do, but Regan was hellbent on staying by their side. Regan had watch duty tonight, and that was when they were going to make their move.

They were going to take one of the horses with them. Not Lucy, of course; they both knew how much Lafayette would miss her. Sidney decided to take Lea's gun with them to serve as a reminder, and Regan had the responsibility of packing a few things for their trip. He said that he wanted to do it, just to make sure that they really got everything they needed; it was obvious that that wasn't the reason, but Sidney trusted him. They knew that he didn't want to leave behind everyone he's ever known since this all began and that he wanted to spend as much time as he could around the others before they had to leave.

Sidney remembered Regan saying that Tiffany had been like a mother to them, and he considered Jo a little sister. That was nearly all they could think about while they prepared. If that truly was the case, Regan either really loved them or felt bad for them- pitied them for Lea's death. Or maybe he didn't want them to go alone, which they had never experienced before unlike himself. Maybe he loved them enough to do such a terrible thing to himself; to have to go through leaving the ones you care for behind again. Whatever the reason was, Sidney was grateful to know that he chose them.

And they left. They weren't going to New York, as was the original plan the group had, where Lea was certain they needed to go to better use the cure. Now that Ren had killed Lea, she would likely be the one to lead the group there. Both Ren and Lea had spoken of going to New York even before the fire. Everyone was on board, and her plans had doubtful changed. Instead, after receiving Regan's approval, they two were going to Kentucky, where, Sidney explained, their aunt lived. They were sure she was dead, like all the others, but they wanted to go there and be someplace familiar to them; someplace close to them.

"So, which side is she on? Mother's or Father's?" Regan asked.

"She's on my mother's side. Her name's Mary. My mother and Mary were twins." Sidney smiled.

Regan chuckled at their odd smile. "Do you have any cousins?"

"No, um- Mary was a nun."

"Really? That's cool. Do you know what it's like?"

They rubbed the back of their neck in thought. "No, not really. We've only had short visits, but me and my brother used to go see her all the time."

"Are we going there? Wherever she lived?"

Sidney held him tightly from behind as he kicked the horse into a canter. "Do you want to? It would be nice to see that place again."

"Yeah, it would be nice to actually be in a monastery before I die."

They frowned and hit him lightly. "Don't say that."

He laughed. "Do they have peacocks? I heard they keep peacocks."