The First Game

Rin woke up in her dark room with light rays peeking out from the curtains. It was 7:00 a.m and she wanted to go back to sleep but she had to at least see her twin brother on his first day in his final year as a Junior High student. Rin got dressed wearing a gray sweater and shorts before peeking her head out of her bedroom door and making her way downstairs. Immediately, she was greeted with a crowd of worried faces.

"Rin! ..A-are you okay?" Len asked with a surprised yet worried look on his face.

"I'm fine!" Rin responded trying her best to put on her cheerful face but she knew her whole family could see through it. "Anyways! I wanted to at least have breakfast before he goes for another year in Junior School," she says and walks over to the table where her mom immediately places a plate of chocolate chip pancakes with whipped cream in front of her.

"Thanks, mom,"

"Anything for you darling..." her mom sighed as she got back to making more.

"Anyways! I'm going to school now, can't be late for the entrance ceremony," Len exclaims as he takes his bag and exited out the door.

The kitchen was completely quiet with the sound of Rin's father sipping and reading his newspaper while taking a few glances at me. There was also the sound of Rin's mother cooking the pancakes at the stove while Rin happily eats her pancakes.

"Rin..." her father finally broke the silence while putting his newspaper on the table. "How are you really doing?"

"Huh? I'm.. I'm fine," Rin looked away, avoiding her father gaze as he continued to talk.

"In a few days, a psychiatrist would start coming to our house and talk to you about your problems to help you overcome them," he says bluntly and it wasn't until her mother spoke that Rin's hand started shaking.

"Dear, isn't it too early for Rin?" her mother said.

"I know that our Rin is a strong girl but remember she cried and lock herself in the room for about almost 2 weeks! I'm really worried-" Rin stood up from the table suddenly and without another word she ran up the stairs to her room, shutting the door behind her.

Behind the door, she could barely hear the voices of her parents talking all the way downstairs and sat down on the floor hugging her knees to her chest. She missed her best friend, she missed Gumi. Gumi and she had been friends for who knows how long. The two were like two peas in a pod, both full of energy and wild. However, what was special about Gumi was that she was already making her way to becoming an idol. She wrote and sang many songs and even perform live really well. But that all came with a cost.

Six months ago, Gumi passed away because of a stage accident at her final show. Since she was still a greeny, she only bought a stage that she and her manager can afford but an unfortunate turn of events. It had to be a late night concert and one of the stage lights fell on her. The accident was an instant blow to the head so there was no way to save her when she got to the hospital.

It happened to her so suddenly where she was only cheering happily for her in the crowds until she heard the sound of glass smashing and in front of her; she was dead.

Thinking about it, Rin started shaking and tried to calm herself by tightening the grip on her arms but failed and only started crying.

Hours had passed later on and it was 12:48 p.m. and Rin spent her time in her room reading manga, watching anime online and going to the bathroom. The only time she ever goes downstairs is when she was thirsty or hungry for a snack. Rin got backed on the computer to surf the web a bit but she was already getting bored but then she noticed an ad at the side of the web of an MMORPG game called Breaking OverDrive. Rin had always been surfing the web but this ad was new but she definitely heard of this MMORPG before. Clicking on the ad and transferring her to the site, she did recognize this game but never really bothered to look it up until now.