When parents say the wrong thing

So I haven't yet told my parents that I'm genderfluid, and my mum just has to go and make a comment about my appearance.

I have work experience very soon and have to get the train into the city, so we were taking a practice trip.

Then my mum just has to say something about me not wearing beanies during my week, 'cause girls can't normally get away with it.

So I ask her why it's alright for guys to and she gives me some bulls*** about it being more generally accepted.

Now I normally only wear beanies at the times when I feel more masculine or more gender-neutral, because she won't let me get my hair cut the length I want.

There were so many things I wanted to say, but I just couldn't, 'cause I'm still worried about what her reaction will be.

With my Dad, even though he's the more devout Christian, I know he'll accept me no matter what, but I can't tell with my Mum.

______________________________________

Yep, so that's what's up at the moment. I'm worried about her reaction and so I can't tell her. I keep dropping hints, but she seems completely oblivious.

Stlt ~ Sink To The Bottom by Fountains of Wayne

Note: This is quite old now, but still relevant