1

Eight years later:

With the harness in one hand and her drinking bottle in the other, Allie was returning from her usual brisk morning jog. Arthur was enjoying the different speed to the usually focused slow pace of everyday navigation. It gave them both a chance to feel free. Allie let Arthur lead her out of the park gates, towards the intersection and home when she heard the sudden screech of brakes. Allie herself was roughly pushed backwards and landed heavily on her back with what she registered as a muscular body on top of her. A fraction of a second later she felt the brush of hot air as the car skidded millimetres from her bare leg.

The screech of her best friend and helper and the crunch of metal made her blood run cold.

"Arthur!" she screamed out towards the sounds.

With unknown strength, she pushed the man holding her down out of the way and moved to stand up.

"Stay here," The man said, helping her to her feet, but still firmly holding her in place.
His voice was warm but firm.

The whimpers from her dog had Allie wanting to run into the road to him, but the unknown man's strong arm was still holding her back. Something about the feel of his skin on hers and his breath, audible and revealing his agitation, made her want to trust him.

A car door opened and angry footsteps emerged. The driver of the car stomped towards the front.

"Stupid fucking dog owners! Don't you see where you're going before crossing the road! You probably had music in your ears too, didn't you" The man yelled.

The man holding Allie made a low growling sound deep in his chest before letting go of her.

"What kind of asshole are you?" Allie's helper asked taking a step forwards shielding her from the driver's anger.

"What? It's just a stupid dog! And now the front of my car is all bent and twisted!" the driver grumbled angrily.

"It's a seeing eye dog! The girl is blind!" Allie's helper nearly shouted.

The driver drew a sharp breath, realising what had happened.

"Fuck!" he muttered.

"Exactly!" the other guy growled.

"I'm sorry miss, but you still shouldn't have been listening to music... Especially if you can't see!" the driver accused.

"I wasn't listening to music!" Allie tried weakly; her attention turned towards any sounds that may have come from her dog. To her horror, she couldn't hear anything.

"Arthur?" She called out, taking a couple of steps towards where she thought he might be.

"You need to stay there. There are still cars coming," Her rescuer said, more softly than she'd heard him before.

"But Arthur?" She repeated.

"We'll get your dog to the vet. Trust me. There is someone sat with him," He reassured.

Something about his deep voice relaxed Allie, and she nodded.

"Look. I am not saying it's your girlfriend's fault or whatever, but she shouldn't have been in the road and who's going to pay for the damages to my car?" the driver asked.

"First. She's not my girlfriend. Second, if I hadn't pushed her out of the way, you wouldn't just have killed a dog but a person too. I suggest you stop whingeing about your car and start realising that that dog has been trained for years to help this young woman function in a seeing society! There has been more money and training invested in that dog than you'd ever be willing to put into a car." The rescuer informed with an icy cold edge to his voice.