chapter 47

"Manik!" Varun shrieked.

Manik was puking at a corner of the glass, though it was pure liquid. Till the time he raised his face, Varun could see dark patches faintly forming under his brown, almost lifeless eyes.

"I'm sorry." Soha mutters watching the man intently from outside the cage, sitting quietly in a dark corner of the room. Varun's hands clutched in a fist with boiling anger as soon as he heard her.

"Shut the fuck up, you Bitch!" He cursed while gritting his teeth, hatred growing under his voice. "Stop pretending to care after giving him such high doses of drugs yourself!"

"Hey, it's okay," Manik muttered weakly, his tone turning raspier with sluggish words.

"She will keep eating you from inside like this, and you will become hollow." Hearing the dark reality from Varun's mouth once again, his body flinched visible and he couldn't decipher if it was from shock or the overwhelming weakness. He knew he will be gobbled up like this, and the hope to see his loved ones was steadily slipping through his hands like smooth sand.

"P-please," Manik begged, looking at Soha's direction as he tried to crawl towards it, lacking the energy and ignoring the pathetic feeling while doing so, "You told me to ignore her, I did. You told me to not let them come here. I-I said it. What more could I possibly do?"

"Stop begging to that freak, Idiot!" Varun shouted angrily.

"I told you to warn them from coming here for their good, Manik. My men are armed outside with Guns. They wouldn't be able to bear that." Swirling a Pistol playfully in her hand, she spoke calmly.

Manik's heart halted and his mouth was left open in helplessness. He felt like scratching his skin as hot sweat covered the whole of his body.

"And I gave you the drugs just so you wouldn't escape. I would never hurt you." Soha coaxed in a consoling tone, as if indirectly apologizing in that twisted, unforgivable way again.  "Anyways, your turn Varun." Keeping the Pistol where she sat, she stood up and they could hear her steps forwarding closer. As she came into light, Varun's nerves shrieked in fear when he saw a fat drug-filled injection in her hand.

"No." He protested, a low, petite protest hinting that he had already lost.

"Don't show tantrums. It'll be worse if you do so." Soha stated intriguingly.

"There is already a lot of drug in my body, I'll be no better than dead if I have more!" Varun held cupped his head with both of his hands, shaking it in stubborn denial.

He was about to give up and step back in exhaustion as the two drips of drug oozed out of the pointed injector. "Please." Varun mewled lowly, "No."

Before she could transfer the toxin, Manik's restless voice halted her.

"Let him go." He whispered calmly. His eyes were gentle when he looked at Varun.

Varun frowns.

"I'll be here. You can do anything to me." Raising both of his arms in surrender, he shone bravely with sparks of sacrifice, "But not him. Please, He had already suffered enough in his life."

"What are you doing?" Varun breathed. His eyes had widened and there was complete confusion in his tone. "Why?"

"I was always privileged. Unlike you, so why would you go through more suffering when I am here?" Manik turns back to him, and his lips curved into a sweet, fervent smile. There was light in his eyes which sent Varun into a pit of dense thoughts.