One: The stranger

The night was in its infancy, and father had just finished his afternoon cigar.

The cook was leaving for her own home. The night staff was arriving, and so was the handsome stranger.
---

He is tall, dark, and handsome. Like every woman's dream suitor. His jaw is coated in a fine layer of stubble, his eyes a bright blue. When he spoke his voice was velvet, rich and smooth and deep.

"Pardon, but may I ask for Ms. Ester Banks?" He asks, glancing around the foyer.

I look to father for permission, he consents and I rise to greet the handsome man.

"Yes?" I ask, shyly stepping forward.

"Benedict Wise." He introduces himself, bowing dramatically and kissing my hand. "Esteemed member of London's gentleman board, and a bachelor looking for a suitable wife."

He steps inside, tucking his top hat into the crook of his elbow.

"And my attention has been drawn to you. I will have no other." He says, striding into the parlour as if he owned the place.

"Mr. Wise! Are you out of sorts? This is my father's house! You shall respect it or you shall be shown the door!" I harrumph, glaring at the infernal man who unceasingly bothers the women in this city.

He just smirks, laying his filthy hand on my cheek.

"You poor thing, do not worry, you will be made to feel better once you are my wife." He coos, stroking my face before stepping in and slamming the door.

----

"Wise." The obvious elder says.

"Banks." The younger responds in equal curtness.

"I've got my sights
set on this one."

"My daughter?" The man asks.

"She's the one! The lucky girl I'm going to marry."

"But she's-"

"The most beautiful girl in London. That makes her the best! And don't I deserve the best?"

"Just because you're some fancy doctor now doesn't mean you aren't any better than the beast you were ten years ago."

"I am not in the slightest!" The younger retorts, angered.

"You bullied your way into positions of power."

"I earned what was mine!"

---
Meanwhile, the lady of the house found an old book on a shelf that she had read only once before, and curled up on the chase to read it.

---

"Hello, Ester." The voice of the stranger says, his hands snatching my book away from me.

"Mr. Wise, may I have
my book, please?"

"How can you read this?
There's no pictures!" He proclaims as he flips through it, astonished.

"Well, some people
use their imagination." I retort, plucking it from his fingers and turning to face the wall.

"Ester, it's about time you got your head out of those books and paid attention
to more important things. Like me. The whole west side of town's talking about it. It's not right for a woman to read. Soon she starts
getting ideas! And thinking!" He shudders at the thought, as if disgusted.

"How impertinent of you!" I snap, expelling him from the house and bolting the door.