Chapter 5

*IMORTANT*

                                                                     New Character!

Annelise sighed, looking away from her book for a moment, to see where she was in the bus route. The rain was gathered in drops on the outside of the window, fog blurring the inside. The windows rattled, and the bus lurched as it ran over a bump. The kids’ whiny voices chided all around her, like an inescapable storm cloud that followed her everywhere. On the bus, at least.

Despite the dampening weather, she was wearing a white tank top with a thinner blue shirt overtop, the silky sleeves hanging halfway down to her elbow. She was wearing off-white shorts, and blue sandals that matched her top. Her short but wavy vanilla blonde hair had bangs that swept off to the side of her face, and hair that fell light and wavy to just above her shoulders.

She closed her book and placed the bookmark in, stopping at chapter 46. She was an avid reader, and adored fantasy books.

The bus lurched to a stop, sending one of the first graders tumbling out of her seat after one of her stuffed animals. Anna slung her backpack over her shoulder and grabbed her book off the seat, careful not to forget it.

The kids would always sit with their feet and legs in the aisle, facing the opposite seat to talk with friends, oblivious to people getting off.

“Part like the red sea!”

Anna shook her head and looked over her shoulder for her brother.

“HEY! I’m coming through!”

Jerome yelled, pushing past Anna, and clearing a path as he gleefully ran out of the bus and jumped clear off, not bothering with stairs.

Anna quickly walked through the kids, before they shifted back into their usual positions. She could hear her bus driver, Mr. McNeal, -she snickered- singing along to some song on the radio. Smiling, she descended the stairs and crossed in front of the bus, and walked up the driveway.

Her house was on the edge of a nice and quiet development, and her property extended way back into a deep woods behind her house.

She walked up to the front door. Her door was painted dark red to match the garage, and siding to her house was a soft gray. Out front was a small willowy tree, and a stone walkway to the front door. The house was two stories, her room on the second floor along with a bathroom and another bedroom which belonged to her younger brother, Jerome. (I absolutely LOVE that name :3)

She swung open the door, and was greeted by Cass, Jerome’s Labrador German Shepherd mix. Cass nuzzled Anna’s hand, craving attention. Anna ran a hand down Cass’s back, the long, soft fur shiny and sleek.

“Go on, let me through!”

Anna gently pushed Cass away, smiled, and Cass trotted off to the stairs, headed for Jerome’s room, her nails clicking on the glossy wooden floor, and tail wagging incessantly.