My Love For a Black Heart: Introduction

I stood right by the door out of the shed. Father roped him down tight. I held my hands together staring at my feet, glancing up at my father, who was in fury, every now in then. The lump in my throat refused to go down, no matter how many times I swallowed. Sweat formed on my father's brow as he paced around the tied down man, fetching his tools. The dark man tied down fought back tears. Why was I here?

Father gripped the wooden handle and picked up a large sludge hammer. "You disobeyed me," my father barked.

The dark man choked, "Master, I am sorry! Please, it will never happen again! I swear!" he pleaded.

"Hell it won't!" he yelled back, "This is the only way I'll be sure you won't run away from my plantation!"

Father slung the hammer behind his shoulder and with all his mite, he slammed it onto the dark man's feet, shattering every bone. The man shrieked in pain, hollering for help that would not come. I couldn't hold in it. Tear flooded out of my eyes. I clasped my hands over my mouth, so I would scream. Father swung the hammer again, the man screaming in agony.

Why was Father making me watch? I was only 15, I don't need this torture and neither does this man.

I stood there helpless, as I watched the man suffer. Some dark women stood outside the tent, trying to watch without getting caught, crying for the man. I looked at a woman with a child, boy of my age 19. The woman cried holding back screams of terror. She was the man's wife. Her name was Ruth and she held her son named Eli, the boy I was in love with...