Seizures

~A seizure is the physical findings or changes in behaviour after an episode of abnormal electrical activity in the brain. Convulsions (seizure) occurs when a being's (a cat in this case) shakes rapidly and uncontrollably.

~A typical seizure will have three factors:

1) Aural Stage: The cat's behaviour is out of the ordinary. The cat may hide, seem nervous, it may be drooling, shaking, seek attention and seem restless or dazed. The aural stage may last from a few seconds to a few hours.

2) The Seizure: The seizure itself will happen and will last from a few seconds to five minutes. All of the muscles of the body may contract. The cat may fall on its side and may be unaware of what's going on. The head will be thrown backward by the convulsions. The may become stiff, chomp it's jaw, urinate, defecate, and drool. Body twisting, eye dilation/motion, change of breathing patterns and motion of limbs may also occur and vary. The body temperature may rise dramatically in some cases.

~A seizure is frightening to the watcher but know that the cat is in know pain. Try not to touch the cat having the seizure. 

3) The Postical: Following the seizure the cat will be confused and disoriented. It will drool and pace. There may be temporary blindness. Increased thirst and increased appetite. Note that the length of this phase is not related to the seizure itself and could take up to 24 hours.

Symptoms:

- Loss of consciousness

- Muscle contraction

- Hallucinations

- Unintentional urination, defecation, drooling

- Loss of recognition of other cats

- Vicious behaviour

- Pacing

- Running in circles

Causes:

- Injury (trauma)

- Infections

- Tumours

- Epilepsy

- The ingestion or exposure of toxic chemicals