A lifetime of happiness

"Will you marry me?"

Four words Dean Winchester never expected to say. Four words Castiel never expected to hear. It wasn't really heard of, hunters or angels getting married, much less to eachother, but that wasn't going to stop them. Ever since Cas had been possessed by Lucifer, and he himself had come so close to losing his life, Dean had found it very hard to hide his feelings. He was sure Sam knew, Rowena, Crowley, Chuck and even Amara. But he didn't know about Cas. Not until he professed his love for him one fateful Impala journey to get food, did Dean realise that Cas not only knew, but loved him more than he ever thought imaginable. The food run may have taken longer than normal, maybe because they had stopped and talked, maybe even kissed, but none of that was mentioned.

"Traffic Sammy."

That was all that was said. And maybe Sam believed them, maybe he didn't. But when he went to ask his brother if he wanted coffee later that evening, and found him entangled with a certain angel, 'traffic' become a thing of the past.

Cas looked down at Dean, Dean looked up at Cas, waiting for an answer.

"Cas?"

A million and one thoughts were running through Cas' mind. Of course he wanted to marry Dean, live a life with him. There was nothing he wanted more. But whilst 'yes' was threatening to spill off his tongue, a little voice was asking him if this was really the right thing to do. Did he want to? Yes. Would it make him happy? Yes. Did he love Dean? More than yes. Was he scared of approval? Yes. And that's what it was. Cas was afraid his father wouldn't accept him, after only just finding him. Worried that his brothers would hate him even more than they do, that Sam would ask him to leave. But as if on queue, his fathers voice filled his head. Words spinning around one after the other.

"You love him right?"

"Say yes."

"I'll still love you."

'They'll all still love you."

"We all accept it."

And that was what settled it for him. Knowing his family would still accept him. He looked down at Dean, ring in hand and worry spread across his face and he smiled. He smiled a smile that showed all his teeth and made his eyes crinkle at the sides.

"Yes Dean, of course i'll marry you."

Cas said it so matter of factly that Dean almost laughed, but instead he jumped up and pulled him in for a hug. A hug which quickly turned from arms around waists to lips on lips.

They told everyone and just like Chuck said, they all accepted and were now all sitting in the church as Castiel became Castiel Winchester. The ceremony went smoothly, the first time anything in either of their lifes had and it was a lovely day. They went back to the bunker, to their room and watched tv all night whilst cuddled up under blankets, next to eachother.

Something had changed within them, they'd felt it the moment they said 'i do'. They felt whole, like a missing part of them had been found.

You see when God created Castiels grace, it was laced with almost every colour under the sun. The warm glow of orange like leaves in the autumn, the firey red of a rose, the vibrant blue of the sea. Yet he always felt something was missing. Like he wasn't complete. Almost as if it was made up of every colour, every colour except one. That was until he married Dean Winchester. For when two marry, their souls collide. In this case Dean's soul and Cas's grace. And Dean's soul was the gorgeous green of trees in the spring, the mellow green of the leaves on a bush and the sharp green of a thorn all at once, and only Cas could see. He knew that when his and Dean's souls became one, he no longer felt emtpy. He no longer felt alone. And when he looked into Dean's eyes he knew that he felt it too. He saw a flame of passion, and a wave of life. They felt whole. They felt alive. And more than anything, they felt happy and well, after all this time, isn't that exactly what they deserved?