~Chapter 27

I grabbed my guitar and walked to Paul's house, making sure the band practice is officially over. When I walked nearer, there wasn't any sound of them playing or putting away their instruments so I assumed that they all left.

I was going to go through the back, were Paul told me to go, and we could practice.

I was reaching for the handle to open the gate when George opened it first. We almost bumped into each other but caught ourselves at the last minute.

"Oh uh sorry," I said looking down. Tension quickly surrounded us and we both kept our eyes averted from each others. We both stood there not knowing what to say.

He looked like he was going to say something but quickly changed his mind and didn't say it at all. "Well uh, I have to go," he said walking around me to leave.

There was something different about him. I couldn't quite put my finger on it. But I think it's that he wasn't happy. He didn't have his usual smile and his eyes looked sad, lonely, and angry. I wanted to help but I don't think he would want me to and it would just be plain awkward.

I walked to the back and saw Paul through the window of his door. I knocked before he walked away. He turned around and smiled when he saw me.

"Hey Julia. Come in," he gestured, "We can go up to my room an' practice." I nodded and followed him upstairs.

As we walked down the hall, Mike walked by. "Use protection," he laughed.

"Sod off, Mike!" Paul said as he opened the door and walked in. "I'm really sorry about Mike."

I blushed. "It's fine, really. He's just teasing." I walked over and sat on his bed and started strumming my guitar. I started to play what he had taught me last time.

"You know you're not as bad as you think," he said.

"Stop lying, I'm not that good," I blushed. "

"I'm serious. You play really well and your voice isn't tha' bad either." Now that one really got me blushing. I felt my cheeks go red, really red. I turned my head so he wouldn't notice.

"Really?" I asked him turning around a bit. He nodded. "Thanks" He smiled at me, just staring directly into my eyes and smiling. "Well, should we get started?"

"Oh, right, of course," he snapped back to reality. "Let me hear the chords I taught you last time." I started playing, focusing on the strings.

"That was brilliant! You're really good at this. Do you think ye want to learn how to play Scrambled Eggs?" I looked at him confused. What did he mean by 'scrambled eggs'? "The song I played you yesterday."

I had an 'Ah-ha' moment. "Ohh, I remember now! But why are you calling it Scrambled Eggs?"

"Well, I don't know what else to call it." I thought of a song name that didn't actually take long to think of. "Hmm...how about calling it Yesterday?"

"You're brilliant - I mean That's brilliant!" He yelled jumping from his chair. I smiled seeing how happy he was over a simple song title. "Well," he sat back down and acted as if nothing happened, "Do you want to learn it?" I nodded.

We practiced all night. We didn't stop until it was perfect. It was probably near midnight when my mother called saying she wanted me home.

~**~

It has been a couple weeks now, since George and I broke up. John's birthday passed, he was so happy to be eighteen. We had a big surprise party for him at Paul's. We totally got him. George and I are on good terms now. We're friends, sort of, but it isn't as awkward as it used to be when ever we got paired up as partners for chemistry. Paul and I have been hanging out a lot lately. I still hang out with Veronica and Kaithlyn, I always will, but I just spend most of my time with Paul.