Devil's Storm

It's the year 3061. The world is a different place than you know it to be. The seraphim arrived here in the year 2816. Hoards of angels clad in snow white robes descended from the bright blue sky, wings flickering in the fickle wind. We thought they would be our salvation sent from the mighty power above. We thought they would fix everything.

We were wrong.

Dublin, the only inhabitable city in Ireland, is a derelict wasteland. Buildings are crumbling ruins, roads torn up in chunks, two million innocent civilians 'disappearing' in the first six months of their arrival. The seraphim were a curse sent to us from the fiery depths of the devil's domain. We need to escape from this poor excuse of living. Enough is enough. Someone needs to start this revolution. That person is going to be me.

**********************

Dusk descended on Dublin. Trudging back to my terraced home, I pondered on how I was going to break the news to my mother. She only has me left since the seraphim slayed my father. He was falsely accussed of treason and died with the word "TRAITOR" burned into his bicep. I have to do this though. They are getting too powerful, too brutal, too ruthless. If I have to die to set my people free, then so be it.

Reaching the door, I took deep breath before stepping inside. My boots thudded on the worn timber flooring as I dropped my shoulder bag into the corner.
"Mam, I'm home."
"Hiya sweetie, I'm in the kitchen." her strained voice responded.

Something is wrong. I thought to myself, a knot growing in the pit of my stomach. Come on Alice, stop stalling.

Taking one final resolutary breath, I marched into our cramped kitchen. My footsteps faltered as I saw her standing behind our tattered table, using as a support. She raised her head so I could see the pain and anguish etched into her eyes. She looked as if she had aged five years since this morning. Her once glossy golden hair hung limp, it's colour faded and appeared greasy. Her eyes, holding none of their usual mirth, were sunk back into her sockets and underlined in black. She looked worn and all her energy seemed to be drained from her.

"They came today," she muttered, "they found everything: your plans, drawings, list of allies, everything!"

Her anger gave her some strength as she stood up. She began throwing her words at me, each accusation felt like I was being wrapped in barbed wire.

"All your plans for some stupid rebellion! Why didn't you tell me? You're planning a SUICIDE MISSION and you never thought to tell your MOTHER!"

Her sharp words and incriminating eyes cut me to the bone.

"I was going to tell you today, once all my plans were finalised. It's not cra-"

"STOP!" she yelled "Just stop. "Do you know what you have done? They are going to kill you and everyone on that bloody list of yours. All those people, and their families. We. Are. All. Going. To. Die."

"No. It doesn't have to be like that. Come with me, help me build a new world for everyone. A world where people can fall in love and have children without this fear looming over them. We won't have to be scared anymore." I pleaded "We can be happy." I finished in a barely audible whisper.

"No" she answered just as low "you need to leave before they come back. I packed a bag for you. You'll have enough food to last you a week, ten days if you eat sparingly."

"Come with me." I pleaded, tears brimming.

"I can't, if I leave too, I can't protect you. Now go Alice and don't stop for anything or anyone." she implored.

I rushed across the room, tears streaming down my face. Pulling her in for one final embrace, I could feel how fragile she was, all bones and angles with no substance left.

"I love you." I whispered before sprinting out of the kitchen and up the stairs, taking them two at a time. I grabbed the bag off my bed. Stopping to take one last look around my room, I knew I would never see her again.

Just then, I heard the gradual beating of seraphim the wings. I glanced put the window, my panic increasing, my heart pounding in my chest.

They're here.

Swarms of seraphim flocked down from the blood-red sky. Their wings flickered like the flames from a fire. Their wings were fire. Cloaked in flowing robes that rolled around them like storm clouds promising doom. The white gave a stark contrast against the morbid sky, that slowly faded with the sunset.

"I guess the front door isn't an option then."

Quickly, I grabbed the rope ladder from my wardrobe. Rule one of Rebellion Planning: Always have a Plan B. I dropped it out the side of my window after securing it to my bedroom. Once the seraphim were out of sight, I stealthily slipped down into my back yard.

The stars twinkled like flashes from cameras as the moon watched me from her front-row seat. The trees swayed in the breeze as a solitary owl hooted in the distance.

I dashed out the side gate, cutting through alleyways and sidestreets that made up the maze of Dublin. My brain buzzed as I attempted to plan my next move.

Where can I go? The seraphim have my plans, they know all my safe houses, allies, everything.

I can only hope myother can keep them at bay. I need time to plan my next course of action. I need the time I don't have.

Right so, one step at a time, one turn at each corner. Left....left....right....left....right....right.... left.... STOP. No, no, no, no. It's a dead end. Turning on my heel I started running again. I rounded the last corner only to skid to a halt again. My breath hitched in my throat as I took in the sight before me. Five frightening seraphim brandishing swords. Emotionless expressions plastered their faces.

I am going to die.

Slowly I retreated into the corner. The walls damp, a musty smell assaulted my nose. My breath sliced through the silence. I sank to my knees, tears burning my eyes, but I refused to set them free. I stared at my pursuers, denying them the pleasure of seeing my weakness.

The tallest one stepped forward, his menacing glare penetrated me to the depths of my soul. The blade of his longsword gleamed white from the incandescence of his wings, vast shimmering wings, their reach so great they swept the walls on either side of the alley, each feather like the wind-tugged lick of a candle flame.

But his eyes. His gaze was like a lit fuse, scorching the air between us. His head was covered by a dark mop of hair, his robes danced around him as he loomed closer and closer.  He was the most beautiful yet menacing creature I had ever seen. He will be the one to deliver me to my faith.

He raised the sword high above his head. The blade glittering in the brilliant moonlight. As the sword made it's descent, I never broke gaze with that of my executioner.

The blade bit the base of my neck before everything disintegrated.