Fifteen

When Sophie and I reached science class, a voice called from behind us. "Ziva!"

I stopped in my tracks, turning around to find the source. Kyle stood behind us, his tuff of brown hair instantly catching my attention. He doesn't have science class this period. Why's he here?

"Yes? What is it?" I ask once there were less people crowding the the hall, "Something wrong?"

Sophie patted my shoulder with a sigh, her brown hair brushing against me. "I think I'll leave you two to it. Make sure you get back before the late bell, though!" With that, she turned away and entered the classroom.

We stood in front of each other, neither of us speaking for a few moments until he suddenly asked, "Can you meet me later? I have something to tell you." His feet were shifting around as I processed his words.

This is weird. He isn't going to beat me up, is he? "Uh, sure! But when's 'later'?"

He brought his hand up to scratch the back of his head, averting his eyes. "Anywhere's fine. I just need to tell you something." Kyle was looking at me this time, with eyes that seemed to beg for my answer. His voice's a little shaky; is he nervous? That's new.

"Then how about the flower bed behind school?" I offered, a nervous smile spreading across my face.

"That's fine, just don't be late, okay?! Because I won't repeat myself!" His cheeks were dusted crimson when he sniffed, bringing his reddened hand up to wipe his nose. "This is important to me, so don't be late!"

Huh, interesting. What could he want with me? "All right, I'll be there after school."

Kyle smirked triumphantly at my answer, making me wonder if I just signed my soul off to the devil. "Good, good. I knew you wouldn't decline. See you later, Rabbit."

I could only stare at the specimen before me with wide eyes. He's weird. But maybe he wants to be friends? That'd be nice. I nodded, waving goodbye before entering science class just as the late bell rang.

After I sat next to Sophie and the lesson began, I took out my tape recorder to archive the teacher's words. Not like I can write it down.

When Mr. Johnson grabbed his marker to draw a diagram on the board, I sighed and lifted my finger from the red button. Can't record that. Oh! My eyes widened when I noticed Sophie playing a game on her phone. I tapped her shoulder to get her attention.

"Can I borrow that for a second? I need to take a picture and I don't think I have any lead left. I'll send it to my email."

She nodded and exited from her game to the home screen before handing it to me. "Go ahead."

I grabbed it with caution since I'd never used a smartphone before, and tapped the camera app once I found it. When my finger pressed against the icon, bolts of electricity ran up my arm. Maybe that's supposed to happen.

The app opened, showing my face on the screen. Boy, technology has really advanced since the era of flip phones, I realized and sighed in nostalgia. After I lifted my finger up, I was surprised to find small white letters that read 'camera' on it. My eyes widened, and I dropped the phone.

The abrupt sound interrupted class, but I was too preoccupied by the words that were on my finger. I pressed the only button her phone had, hoping that it would bring me to home screen. When it did, I stared at the familiar camera icon just to find its label gone. I thought I only ate my own words?

The electric energy continued to surge through my veins when I heard a cough from in front of me. I looked up just to see Mr. Johnson's scrutinizing face. "See me after class, Ziva."