Chapter Two

As the crowd dispersed, the huntress strolled over to the port master's building. Police officer medics, specialized officers skilled in healing and autopsy, hauled the deceased port master onto a stretcher. Small steamboats brought their vessels up to the feti. They would be spending the next few days hacking, ripping, and carrying the worthy foe's remains to a kitchen table. Growling in her stomach caused the huntress to sigh. Lunch could wait until later, for she had friends waiting for her.

Checking a list, a human dressed in a nice suit coat of light green, and puffy jeans guarded the door into the port master's building.

"Excuse me," said the huntress, "but I'd like some assistance."

"One moment please." The nicely dressed man waved for the huntress to stay put. "I'll get your cash in a moment."

"Twenty-one silvers is neat, but"- the huntress pulled the man into her line of sight- "I want a guide."

"So you're the huntress that slaughtered the feti," noted the man. He yanked away with a rude snort. Ignoring it, the huntress inflated her chest. "Worthy credit belonged where it was due. Well... I guess I can sacrifice some of my time, Miss..."

The huntress slapped the man on the shoulder which made him stumble. "Call me Vipa. Vipa the huntress."

"Okay, Miss Vipa." Straightening himself out, the man pushed up on his back until it cracked. "I'm the accountant here. Follow me inside."

The accountant led Vipa to a small lounge with a standard receptionist set up. An ice crystal attached to a fan helped to cool the room. Going around a counter, the accountant shuffled through an iron cabinet. Vipa stared at the accountant to hurry him up, but he seemed content with his slow pace.

"It will take a moment to find," noted the accountant without looking back.

Vipa, muttering about slow help, plopped into a worn leather chair and entered a staring contest with a shark mounted on the wall. She would have won if her name hadn't been called. Walking over to the counter, the huntress swiped the cloth bag out of the accountant's hands. She grabbed a handful of coins and let them clattered in her hand.

"So, what is this about a guide?" asked the accountant. "Navigator I understand?"

"I already have a navigator." Vipa's eyes never left the glittering of the coins. It was fun to clatter them together. "What I need is someone to guide me to Tragun."

Offering a nervous smile, the accountant started picking at a button on his shirt. "T-Tragun?"

The huntress, disregarding the fear, stated, "Yes, the moving island. The one that has a habit of destroying ships. You must have heard of it."

"Of course!" The accountant shoved his fist into his pocket and yanked out a conical ocean shell. Waves had been etched into its side. Whispered prayers flew from the accountant's lips as he brandished the shell. Vipa shook her head in disbelief. The accountant was calling on Druad, the head god of the local religion, to protect his soul. Rapping her fist on the counter, Vipa glared the accountant down. This guy feared the Guilty One far too much.

"I need someone to take me to Tragun," declared Vipa.

Clearing his throat, the accountant gave a polite note. He tucked the shell away as he examined a series of shelves built into the wall. His fingers ran along the spines of leather books until he found one titled Captain Logs. Placing it on the table, he thumbed through the pages. Unsteady hands slowed the process down. Vipa drummed her fingers on the counter as she resumed her staring contest with the shark.