Chapter 25

Rowen exhaled deeply as he put the last of his things in a box and closed it. "Thanks for coming down here to help," he said to Rick as he taped the box closed.

"No problem. Maybe after hiding out for a little bit you can move back," he replied.

Though Rowen knew Rick was trying to offer comfort, he lacked his usual optimism. It had taken all his energy just to put his things together to move out of where he had been living. As he walked outside the house he had spent many long years in, he wished he had spent more time making it a home someone might have liked. Rowen refused to let himself think of who that someone was.

Rowen set a box in the car at the same time that Rick set his own box down and turned to him. "Maybe you should say goodbye," he suggested. "He only lives a short drive away."

Rowen wanted that, but there were just some things in life that weren't good for you, no matter how much you wanted them. He squared his shoulders. "No thanks. I think it's better if I just keep my distance," he said.

With a shrug, Rick said, "Suit yourself, but I hope you don't regret it."

Rowen already was.

Rick glanced up the road and gestured with his thumb. "Hey, isn't that the kid you took in?" he asked.

Looking down the street in the direction Rick was pointing, Rowen saw Cliff and Zane walking towards them. "You're back," Zane said. He looked around. "Is Kevin at home?"

"Yeah," Rowen said. He debated his next words heavily. "Can you tell him bye for me?" he asked.

Kevin's best friend looked suspicious. "What do you mean? Are you going somewhere?" he questioned.

"Moving," Rowen said with false confidence and an even more false smile. "If you could let him know that I had fun this summer, I'd appreciate it." His smile faltered. "I'd tell him myself, but we're not on the best of terms at the moment."

Zane didn't look surprised to hear that. "I guess..." he muttered. 

Next it was Cliff's turn to offer farewells. "As much of a pain as you can be, you've been a pretty good old man. Will you call if you're ever around?" he asked.

The two men shook hands. "Sure," Rowen promised.

As they stood there talking, Zane started to look more and more concerned about something. He had a distant look in his eye as he thought. "I didn't know you guys had a fight," he said. "Was it bad?"

At Zane's confusion, Rowen also frowned. "What are you talking about? Kevin didn't call and rant to you all about it?" he asked. He was trying to joke, but he couldn't help a glance in Rick's direction, as unrest filled the air of their small group.

"No," Zane said. "Why would he call me? He's probably still unpacking."

With questioning eyes and a feeling of dread pooling in the pit of his stomach, Rowen turned to look at his friend. "Rick?" he asked.

The unease was contagious and Zane looked from Rowen to Cliff to Rick. "What is it?" he asked.

Rick hesitated before he admitted, "I dropped Kevin off at his house almost two weeks ago."

*******

I could hardly keep my eyes open as the man stood over me, taunting me, questioning me, demanding I answer him. I wasn't fed more than a few bites of food a day, if that, and I hadn't been allowed to sleep for at least the last three days. I could feel the last of my energy seeping away like my blood seeping into the dusty flood below. 

My eyes drooped dangerously as the threat of a blackout loomed ever closer. "Please... I can't anymore..." I begged.

The man slapped me, jolting me back to my senses. "Don't fall asleep on me," he warned. "That's against the rules."