Chapter 2: No Choice

Where did this girl come from? Was she the one who saved them from drowning any further? Cort swallowed, and said, "I-is that even possible? For you not to have a name?"

Paula was wondering what her resemblance to the girl they saw in the very end of their dream meant. Was she really her? It can't be, can it? That was probably six or five hundred years ago. There was no way it could be the same girl. She had to believe in science.

With both of their thoughts scrambling for a rational answer, the new girl stood there mildly amused by their confusion. It was funny.

"Tanin and Cort." The named teens froze at the sound of both of their names.

Cort was the first one to speak, "How do you know our names?" it was the most cliché thing to ask, but it was one that he wanted answered.

"Do we know you?" Paula asked suddenly. Was she part of their class? Can't be, Paula and Cort knew every girl there. Perhaps she was part of their school. They were very popular so it would make sense if a girl like her knew their names.

The girl looked away from Cort to gaze upon Paula, "I've finally found you."

Both Tanin and Cort's hearts started to race, "Th-those words..." Paula took a step back, her eyes wide with fright, "That's what he said...!"

Hysterical laughter erupted from the girl's mouth, "Hahaha! Your reaction is so... amusing." She placed her hands on her hips and smirked at them.

Cort stood in front of Paula, "Who the heck are you?! Don't mess with us, this isn't funny!"

A chuckle was heard from the deranged girl, "I'm not messing with you... It's true, I've been looking for you for years now. Isn't that right?" her eyes changed. They had no irises and nor did they have any pupils. Just white. "Yes it is right! You're always right!" and then they went back into their normal form.

"What the heck is going on!?" Cort yelled. It was already late, and the moon had disappeared into the clouds. There was nothing to give them light. Where did she go? He felt a tap on his shoulder.

"My, my, for a person who had just bathed in the ashes of Tanin Seniripic, you have not gained her personality." Paula and Cort looked at each other, ashes? "Right you are. When Tanin the Founder was burned alive her ashes drifted away in small rivers, and settled in the largest lake of the City Tanin. When you both made contact with her soul it activated what destiny has always had set out for you."

Both had a hard time believing the words of a girl they had just met, "Skip the context." Cort demanded. He couldn't see. There were no more candles to help them.

The moon was free from the covers of the clouds, to reveal that the girl was standing an inch away from their faces, "To put it simply, little boy, Paula here is a leader. A princess if you want it to become all magical. My dear little Cort, you are her betrothed." This sparked a reaction in his face,"I'm guessing from your blush that you like that very much." Her eerie eyes closed slowly while she grinned and stepped away.

Indeed, a red hue covered his cheeks, and Cort flamed with anger, "Shut up! How could Paula be a princess and me her... b-betrothed!?" he didn't want to look into Paula's direction, afraid to see her reaction.

In the dark, the girl circled around them and whispered into their ears, "I've been waiting for both of your births for six centuries." They did nothing to stop her.

A crack was in Cort's voice, "Y-you're the girl we saw in the end of our dreams? You were talking about something starting." He felt her breathing down the back of his neck, "You look exactly like her... the only weird thing is that you haven't aged a bit since the last six centuries."