Part 1: Desire

"Man, that English test was a tough one!" grumbled Kazuhiro, clenching his fist.

'I just had a terrible time with that English test. I hate plural nouns and articles.'

This is Kazuhiro Takahashi, a second year at the high school known as Sagano high school, in Tokyo, Japan, hailing from class 2-E. He is 16 years of age, with long grey hair. He was wearing black dress shoes, along with his school uniform (a grey dress shirt and black pants), as per usual.

'I just wish I could go on an adventure to learn English instantly or something like that...' He thought as he walked to the lunchroom with his lunch of rice, beef, miso and milk.

'I bet that if I just prayed to God after school every day, I could do that no prob-'

Kazuhiro ran into something moving really fast, and let out a loud yelp, spilling some of his rice on his shirt.

"Damn, what a hard fall. The floor is so cold... Oh shit, I dropped my lunch!"

Getting up angrily and wiping the rice off of his shirt, Kazuhiro turned to see what... or WHO... he had bumped into, but as soon as he did, he had wished he hadn't.

"God damnit, Bakahashi! Watch where you're going!"

"Yoshizaki, could you please stop calling me 'Bakahashi?' That's not my name, you dope!"

Kazuhiro said to his classmate, Isaya Yoshizaki. Isaya was another second year. Isaya was roughly the same height as Kazuhiro, yet her leather boots made her seem taller. Aside from the usual girls uniform (a grey dress shirt and a blue skirt), she also sported long wavy and blonde hair, as well as these expensive-looking glasses that made her seem smarter than usual, which wasn't too far off, as she was much better than Kazuhiro in school. with the exception of P.E., Yoshizaki was ahead of Kazuhiro in everything. Yoshizaki had been calling him 'Bakahashi' ever since they first became friends in elementary school. No matter how many times Kazuhiro told her to stop, she never did.

"Nevermind that, let me help you up. And don't think I'm doing this for you, Bakahashi! I'm just being a nice person, is all," Isaya assured Kazuhiro, giving him a look that seemed to imply that her patience was running thin.

Kazuhiro sighed. Yoshizaki was always like this, doing something nice, then yelling about it. Sometimes he wondered why, but most of the time he would just shrug it off.

"Please, stop yelling! I could've helped myself up, Yoshizaki. Jeez..."

Isaya didn't respond, as she noticed something had stained her clothes.

"Oh no... You got beef on my blouse! You... You... Bakahashi!"

"Uh... I've got places to be, I can't hang out here too long! Sorry!" said Kazuhiro as he got up and ran.

* * *

After buying a new lunch (He lost his old one after bumping into Yoshizaki, which added 500 yen to his lunch debt), Kazuhiro went back to the cafeteria in search of a certain friend.

"Hey, Takashi! I'm over here!" said a familiar voice

"I'll be there in a second!" Kazuhiro yelled back to the other student, who was across the room, sitting among the many cafeteria tables. After worming around the complex network of cafeteria tables, He finally made it to his friends table.

"The labyrinth is no match for my superior intellect!"

"It's not that big of a cafeteria, Takashi."

"Kobayashi, I thought I told you to stop calling me 'Takashi!' It's 'Takahashi!'"

"I'm sorry, I have a problem with pronouncing the ha!'" replied Satoshi Kobayashi, Kazuhiro's best friend. Satoshi was also his upperclassman, which meant he was also a year older than him. Despite this, however, he was actually a bit shorter than Kazuhiro. Satoshi had brown hair in a similar style to Kazuhiro's, not to mention his black running shoes that he seemed to always wear.

"Whatever," said Kazuhiro in response. "Anyway, I have something to ask you."

"What is it?" asked Satoshi, now curious as to what Kazuhiro was thinking.

"Well, have you ever really wanted to go on an adventure... like... with magic and monsters?"

Satoshi wasn't expecting an odd question like that, so he wasn't really sure how to reply.

"Huh... Not really. It would be pretty cool, though. Why do you ask?"

"Because I failed my English test AGAIN. I wishi I kudo jasutu go on an adobencha tsu faindo za Gureito Ingurishi Tekusutobuku obu thaimu"

Kazuhiro replied, attempting to speak in English. He wasn't aware of how bad it was.

Satoshi snickered. "You said 'time' wrong."

"Shut up."

After school, Kazuhiro and Satoshi walked halfway home together, as they usually did. Once they reached the halfway point, Kazuhiro went a different path, since he lived on a different street than Satoshi. He then proceeded to walk in the direction of a nearby Elementary school. Once he arrived at the front of the building, something jumped into his arms.

"Big brother~!" she said.

"There you are, Yamura! How was your day?" Kazuhiro said to Yamura Takahashi, his little sister. Yamura always had this really cute smile, skipping around in her purple t-shirt and grey track pants. She also had brown hair with two pigtails, making her even cuter than she already was.

"It was fun! We made macaroni art, and I drew an airplane! Look!"

Yamura held a piece of paper up to Kazuhiro, it appeared to have a drawing on it. Kazuhiro looked at it closely but couldn't seem to make out an airplane anywhere. All he saw was a misshapen blob

"It's amazing!" Kazuhiro lied.

'It's not THAT good of a drawing, but should I really expect a masterpiece from a 6-year-old? Not that I can draw any better...' Kazuhiro thought to himself as he handed the drawing back to his sister.

"Let's go home! We can show your picture to mom and dad when they get back home, okay?"

Kazuhiro's and Yamura's parents were away on a business trip, and were scheduled to come back the following week.

"Nooooo~! I wanna go to the park!" Yamura replied.

'Oh boy, here we go...'

Yamura loved going to the park, and she would ask Kazuhiro to take her there almost every day. Usually Kazuhiro would just make up some excuse as to why they couldn't go, however, and very rarely would he actually take her.

"Sorry Yamura, but I have tons of homework today, so I can't bring you there."

That was obviously a lie, unknown to Yamura. Kazuhiro's favorite anime was actually getting a reboot that started today, so he couldn't afford to miss it.

"Awwwwwwwwwww~! You always say that!" Yamura complained.

"But it's the truth!" Kazuhiro replied... even though it wasn't.