Chapter 10

Chapter 10

For the second time in as many days, Davey woke up fully dressed with the lights still on in her room.

“At least I didn’t have shoes on this time,” She mumbled, wiping a string of drool from her cheek. Ajay’s breathing was smooth and steady, his head still leaning against the headboard. Davey slipped carefully out from under his arm and off the bed. She flipped off the lights, slid out of her dress and into a long t-shirt. As she was crawling back onto the bed, Ajay mumbled himself awake.

“What are you doing?” He muttered.

“Getting comfy. Do the same and go back to sleep before you wake up with a kink in your neck.” She burrowed under the covers, resting her head on the pillow.

“Mind if I crawl under there, too?” Ajay yawn and pulled off his sweater.

“As long as you let me sleep, you can do whatever you want.” Davey snuggled further into her pillow. As she drifted back into sleep, she felt the bed shift as Ajay crawled in beside her. The heat of his body was comforting and she let herself relax into a deep, uninterrupted sleep.

“Davey. Davey.” She heard the whispers in her ear a few minutes later.

“Go away.” She rolled over and pulled her blanket up to her ears.

“You should wake up.” She felt his hand brush against her arm.

“Ajay, I want to sleep. That was part of the deal.”

“How much sleep do you need?” He chuckled but pulled his arm away from her.

“It’s been like five minutes.” She mumbled, eyes still closed. “We can fool around in the morning. I promise.” Trying to put him off until later.

“Then prep yourself for some fooling around, cause it’s well into the morning.” His chuckle was deep this time, closer to her ear than before.

“What are you talking about?” She rolled over and peeked through her eyelids. The light was much brighter than she expected. She found herself looking into Ajay’s bright hazel eyes. “Oh, it is morning isn’t it?”

“It sure is.” He smiled.

“Why does it never feel like it’s time to get out of bed? Stupid body.”

“I kind of like your body. Stupid or not.”

“You’re awfully forward for a boy that’s sleeping in his clothes.”

“Who’s in clothes?” He raised an eyebrow.

“What!” Davey lifted the blanket and looked carefully underneath. Ajay was in a block undershirt and a pair of black boxer briefs. “When, I said get comfy that’s not exactly what I was thinking.”

“No one sleeps comfortably in dress pants and a sweater. Why bother trying.” Ajay peaked under the blanket, “Besides, I see you did it, too.”

“My room. My bed. My clothing.” She laughed and tucked into the pillow. “After all that stuff you told me last night, I needed something to take my mind off of it. A good sleep seemed like the best answer.”

“Did it work?”

“Not really. It’s all still bumping around in there.”

“I’m a good distraction.” Ajay shimmied closer. “If you’re interested.”

“I could use a little distraction.” Davey inched closer to him. She knew she wasn’t supposed to get involved with anyone unless it was in the engagement directive, but everything here was so much heavier than she was used to.