The Fountain

A/N This is my first original story (that I've posted). It's kind of creepy. I tried to steer away from dystopian and more towards sci-fi, but eh. I'm also turning it in for English class as a final project (I'm in tenth grade at the moment). So, without further ado, here's this thing. Yup.

"Wake up. Today is a beautiful day."

I blink as I rise from my impossibly comfortable bed. There is nobody there, just the voice over the intercom. My eyes slowly adjust to the brightness and I admire the room. Classy gold and white furniture decorate the room, and, like every other room in the house, every detail is well thought out in terms of beauty and comfort. The house itself, however, is very small. In two corners stand magnificent, identical statues, androgynous and painted gold, and if I look closely at their left eyes, I can just barely see a tiny pinhole where the cameras are--

"Your breakfast is ready," the disembodied voice continued in a soothing female tone. Soon after, a decadent aroma wafts into the room and I find myself drifting into the dining room. The long hallway has more statues positioned at even intervals. They are in every room. Although I know they are only there to keep me safe and taken care of, I still feel a bit paranoid by the time I reach the source of the smell.

The dining room is pristine and decorative. The delicate plate waits for me on the table, food already prepared and steaming. Within taking the first delicious bite I feel a rush of calm. I finish my meal and my morning routine as directed by the voice.

I walk outside and look around. It really is a beautiful city. Identical, elegant houses are arranged in concentric circles, and at the center is a massive fountain. Statues, or "the maintenance," as I've heard them called, stand guard along the paths. We walk in rows until we reach the town center.
The very ground is made of pearly white marble, inlaid with intricate gold designs, yet it pales in comparison to the grand fountain. The graceful arcs of water are so pure, so controlled, just...perfect. The fountain itself is such a pure white that it appears to be glowing. The crystal clear water forms thin jets and gracefully cascading waterfalls. In the center of all of this, standing tall and dignified, is a statue of a goddess. Her skin is pale white, and she dons a simple flowing dress. Her arms are extended to the sides, palms up, and gentle water falls through her slender fingers. Her face is kind and sweet, but every delicately carved feature hints at sorrow. She has a melancholy expression, and water falls from just beneath her blank, white eyes like tears.

At the same time every day, all of the people stand in rings around the circumference of the fountain, never speaking or moving, just staring in awe for exactly ten minutes before turning on our heels and marching off. It's so amazing to think that after all this time, the fountain is still as breathtaking as if I were seeing it for the first time.

I am jolted out of my thoughts by a loud splash. I stiffen in fear. To my horror, I see a small child standing in the shallow water, splashing and kicking. The child squeals and makes strange hiccup-like sounds. The water of the fountain is sloshing a bit over the sides.
I immediately assume that the child is having some sort of an episode. But if that is the case, then why do they look so...happy? That can't be right.
The poor thing must be insane. Somebody has to help them before they hurt themself. Nobody makes a sound or moves a muscle, as if waiting for something.
Out of the corner of my eye, I see a golden statue step forward. It walks mechanically towards the fountain, as the nearby people step to the side a bit to create an aisle.

Of course! The statues can take care of this. I breathe a sigh of relief. Soon the peace and balance will be restored.

The statue abruptly stops about three meters from the fountain. Confused, I glance at the people around me and see various expressions of anxiety, confusion, and shock.
The child, seemingly oblivious to the situation, continues to jump and splash around. I watch in confusion as the statue slowly raises its golden arm forward, fingers pointed directly at the child, following every movement. The fingertips begin to glow, and suddenly there is a bang and a flash of white light.

No. No, no, no. How could this happen? This is wrong!

The statue lowers its arm and marches back to its post.

I gape at the fountain in disbelief. A small child with no name floats face down in the shallow water. Red begins to seep from the body, spreading and mixing with the water like tendrils of flames.

I can hardly hear the calm female voice commanding, "Please return to your homes while maintenance purifies the fountain. We apologise for the inconvenience."

Inconvenience. You murdered a child, and you apologise for causing an "inconvenience?" I feel my face heating up as I am filled with anger. I want to do something, anything, but what? If I disobey orders, I will be killed, and then I'll just be another "inconvenience." It won't change anything.
I look over my shoulder at the fountain as we march away, and terror numbs my mind when I see it. The water has all turned a deep, bloody red. The goddess cries, and blood runs down her cheeks and drips from her fingers. I stifle a scream, and when I blink, the water is clear again. I must be imagining things.

"Your meal is ready."
"I'm not hungry," I mumble.
"Eat," said the voice as I sit at my dining room table, "I will not ask again."

How can I eat after what just happened? I feel sick to my stomach just thinking about it. I glare at a statue with hatred and hesitantly pick up my spoon. I shakily scoop up some food and begin to bring it to my mouth. The entire time my mind is swirling with anger, and hatred, and nausea, and I'm not sure if I can contain it and--

Mmmm. That is so delicious. My head feels fuzzy, and I continue eating. What was I thinking about again? Oh well. It doesn't matter anyway. I admire the shiny golden statues and smile.

A/N so yeah, that's my story. Please vote, it would mean a lot!❤️Who doesn't love clicking on a cute little star button? ⭐️ Please comment if you want me to make a long story based off of this, or just to correct me/give me tips. (Constructive criticism is always welcome)
I love you guys,
~Joey😘