Stone of the Wolf

Looking at the stars in the midnight sky, laying back on soft grass, with a breeze whispering in my ear. I look at the bright, violet-red -like twinkling star, and murmur to myself “I will keep my promises” However, I didn’t exactly know what those promises were. Slowly i sit up and dig through my simple and small black purse for my phone. I had heard it go off a while ago, but i didn’t want to ruin the moments of quiet and relaxing.

Sadly it was my mom asking me where i was. I’m going to pay for that later, but at the moment I didn’t care. Strangely, I felt at ease. This never happens to me, so i grab my purse and put my phone in it, getting ready to walk back to my house.

As I walk, it’s as if someone is walking beside me. I’ve always been told that ‘my Guardian angel is with me all of the time’. Added to that I’ve never felt truly alone. I guess that’s a good thing with me, I’ve never had many friends and most of the time they’re busy, not to mention my parents are always at work.

Slowly I begin to see the outline of my house, which was on the edge of a forest. It was strange because my parents were not the outdoors type, but I loved it. It was amazing to come home from school and just go for a walk hiding in the trees, before going back to do homework.

As I approach the back door I hear yelling, as a natural reaction I flinch. I’ve never heard my mom scream that loud or sound that angry. I didn’t dare touch the door, yet. I wanted to know what my mom and dad were fighting about before I did anything else. So, I listened.

“I can’t believe this Jerry!” My mother yells. “Why would you do this to me? To our daughter? “ What did he do that was so bad?

“Teresa, baby, calm down...” My dad says calmly. I narrowed my eyes, shaking my head.

“Calm down?! Jerry you were in bed with two other women that didn’t even look a day over eighteen!” My mother yells. I gasp, leaning against the house. I bite my lip, and put my hand on the door knob, squeezing my eyes shut, feeling anger-- No. Pure rage-- rise.

I twist the door knob and storm in “What the hell?!” I walk up to my dad for answers.

He just looks down at me and sighs. “Cathy it’s not what you think. You’re mother is just over reacting.”

“Over reacting? Catherine, go upstairs and see for yourself. Trust me. I am not over reacting.” She growls, jaw tight.

I shake my head again, running upstairs. I slam the door to my room. I didn’t care about what my dad had done, whether my mom was over reacting or not.

I sigh, throwing myself onto my bed “So much for my good mood...” I mutter, looking up at my ceiling.  Twenty minutes later when I begin to here less yelling and more crying from my mother, and eventually the sound of a car racing off, I turn to turn on my bed side lamp and then I press play on my iHome.

It begins to play “Lose Yourself” by Eminem, at the loudest it can. And with that, I lay back down and begin to think and sort out my thoughts. In the middle of the song my mom walks in, “Catherine. We need to have a talk about your father.”

I sigh, “So he’s a cheating bastard that probably just left and ran off to a hotel to finish what he was doing. Let him finish then deal with him. Divorce him, do whatever. Just one thing.” I say sitting up, “We are not moving. I love this place too much mom.”

She didn’t speak only nodded.

“What? I took the words right out of your mouth? Yeah well I was always more like you than dad anyway. So we’re not moving. Right?” I ask.

She nods again, “Of course not. This property is under my name. And I know this house means a lot to you. So no, we’re not moving. However, you’re dad certainly is.”