The Outsider

Immediately after I went inside, I slammed the door shut behind me. I don't know why. I could feel my blood pumping and my heart racing faster than ever. The lights were dim...almost unlit entirely. I could see a single incandescent light bulb swinging from a cord and dangling from a gaping hole in the ceiling. It was buzzing and flickering while it gently swayed by its wire. The small of smoke was thick in the air, I could feel my eyes watering, and it was so hot in here.

I was surprised that my breathing sounded so funny, the hairs on the back of my neck were standing up and I shivered. The room was boiling hot, but it felt so cold and creepy, like a winter breeze had just blown right through me, chilling me to the bone. I swallowed hard, I was on the verge of tears and there was a lump in my throat. I had no idea why I had such a strong impression to find out what was going on. Nothing ever happened here. No matter, I felt determined. I took a nervous step forward and pressed my foot against the floor. I jumped back when I heard the floorboards creak loudly, and I heard something.

The light flickered ominously. Something wasn't right. I had to leave. I quickly pressed onward toward the door, and reached out my hand, but something stopped me. I just stood there, breathing hoarsely and staring at the door. Suddenly, I heard a familiar clicking noise...and I saw the doorknob start to turn from the outside.

I almost gasped but instinctively found myself rushing towards the staircase at the other end of the room. I was not alone. I flew down the steps and into the basement of the Moore House.