Chapter 3

"Ryder Leer, please come to the office. Coach Hammer and Principal Bloom wants to see you."

That's what was said on our morning announcements the following day.

My blood turns cold and I look across the class room to watch Ryder as he gets up to leave. We make eye contact as he walks out of the room. Fear and determination dances in his brown eyes. This can only mean one thing: that kid from before finally told someone.

I frown slightly and doodle a few flowers on my notebook paper. It's the only thing I can do to keep myself from running out of the room to follow Ryder. I don't pay attention to the teachers lesson and by the time the bell rings, my whole paper is like a small meadow.

Ryder and I don't have the next few classes together so I won't know when he gets out of the office until lunch.

Ten minutes into my third class of the day, I also get called down. Everyone watches me as I stand and take all of my things with me out of the class room.

I take a deep breath before I open the office door. Three heads turn to me at once. Ryder is standing near the Principals desk, with his hand on it. He looks angry. Mr. Bloom is leaning back in his chair, unamused. Coach Hammer is standing off to the side with a disappointed look on his face. Once they all register that it's me who walked in, Ryder slams his hand on the desk.

I flinch at the noise and hug my books to my chest after I close the door. "Why did you bring him here? He has nothing to do with this situation!" Ryder is yelling. I've never seen him yell before, let alone be cross. It's.. Weird.

Mr. Bloom sighs and rubs his temples. "I told you, Mr. Leer. I need to bring him here to get down to the bottom of this.. relationship." He looks like he swallowed a mouth full of bugs when he says "relationship". Ryder's face gets red and he yells even louder. "Why the hell should it matter if we are together or not? It's not for you to decide!"

I lean against the door watching the scene unfold; listening to the sound of blood pumping through my veins. Coach Hammer glances at me from time to time. "Mr. Leer. You know our sports rules, but you decided to go against them. I can't help but kick you off the team." Mr. Bloom explains this to Ryder.

"Principal Bloom, we should think about this. You can't kick the star player off the team just like that." Coach finally interrupts the conversation and I guess that's the first time he spoke the whole time since they both looked shocked.

I want a black hole to swallow me up and never spit me out.

They both look at Coach to see if he says anything else, and he rolls his eyes and opens his mouth again. "Wouldn't it be a little suspicious if we randomly kick the best player on the team with no explanation? People will ask questions that we don't want to answer." He explains further. Mr. Bloom nods, thinking this over, as Ryder sighs in defeat as he walks over me and intertwines his fingers with mine.

I look up at him and he looks back down on me and gives me a small smile as if he's trying to calm me down. I lean my head on his shoulder and close my eyes. Coach and Mr. Bloom try to figure out a plan on what to do with Ryder.

Mr. Bloom sighs and looks over at us. He grimaces. "You two need to stop seeing each other. Either that, or Ryder has to stage something bad enough to get him kicked off the team. Your choice. You have till tomorrow to decide. Goodbye." Mr. Bloom points to the door and Ryder leads me out of the room.

He doesn't head to the classrooms. "Uh.. Ryder?" He leads me outside the front doors in silence and he sits against the wall. I sit next to him. "What are you thinking?" I ask. He looks at me and smiled slightly, but it seems off. "I'm thinking of a way to get kicked off the team." He says.

I frown. "Why? You're so good at basketball." I ask. He laughs slightly. "Sure, but I like you more than basketball. Isn't it obvious?" He replies. I start to say something but he interrupts me. "It's okay, Jackson. It's my choice. So I choose you." He looks down at the ground. I just nod and lean my head on his shoulder. Why do we have to have such a homophobic community? It's not fair.

We sit there in silence, holding hands, for the rest of the school day and we don't move till almost every student has left. It's already getting dark. "Well," Ryder says as he gets up, "we should probably get going." He helps me up and kisses me.

He kisses me in a way he never has before. He tangles his hands in my hair and pushes me against the wall. When he pulls away, I'm gasping for air. I feel myself blush all the way to my ears. "Well that was unexpected.." I mumble. Ryder laughs and gets close to my ear and whispers, "What can I say? I'm a sucker for green eyes." He takes my hand like he didn't say anything, and leads me home.